Lubricant

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Simba, 27 Apr 2010.

1. Simba

Simba Specialized Allez 24 Rider

Can anyone recommend a good lub for chains, cranks etc that is easy to apply and does the job properly. I currently use the one from Halfords, the lub itself is good but I have to pour it into a cup and apply by a small brush.

2. buddha

buddha Veteran

Finish Line Wet for rain. I got the 3 bottle bundle almost 3 years ago and still haven't run out!

For dry weather on my bestest road bike I've settled for Prolink Gold. Still on the same bottle after almost a year.

3. OP
    OP
    Simba

Simba Specialized Allez 24 Rider

Thanks for that, I'll probably get both.

4. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Engine oil. Cheaply and easily available. You can apply to each link of the chain using a flat screwdriver dipped in oil as a "dropper."

5. PpPete

PpPete Guru

I used to use Finish Line Wet.
    Then the price shot up from 4.99 to 7.99 around the time I was thinking of new bottle. So I tried Halfords own dry lube which was cr@p.

Now on ProLink Gold. Very smooth & quiet drive chain. Seems to pick up less gunge that the Finish Line Wet. The pen applicator is an excellent idea, as you can get precisely one drop on each link.

6. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Moderator

i had a bottle that lasted over 10 years. i did have a break from cycling for six of them though…

7. johnr

johnr Über Member

White lightening in various styles in spring/summer/autumn but I've gone back to finish line wet lube this winter.

8. giant man

giant man New Member

Glad to see a lube thread without the usual WD40/GT85 debacle!

The recommendations of Finish Line cross country and ProLink Gold are exactly what I would recommend .....

9. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

That's because the OP asked about chain lubes, and neither of those are suitable, and only one of them's a lube. :smile:

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I use GT85.

It does lube, it's cheap and the chains don't wear any quicker than with any of the expensive brands.

11. New Horizon

New Horizon Über Member

12. l4dva

l4dva Über Member

This Prolink stuff.... Is it suitable for wet and dry rides???

I'm tempted to buy a bottle

13. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

IMO - Yes. Little and often. Wipe your chain clean. Buy a Luber pen to apply it. One drop per chain link pin, applied to the inside of the chain. http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/29/pr11017/progold-cable-luber.html
    2 bikes, 1 bottle - 2+ years

14. l4dva

l4dva Über Member

This may be a daft question but dose that lube pen come already filled with some lube in it?

Do you use it anywhere else other than the chain as well??

15. BearPear

BearPear Über Member

Another potentially daft question, but if you are dabbing link by link, how do you know when you've gone round the entire loop?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice