Lubrication...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
Hi everyone...

What chain lube do you use?
For what kind of riding?
Why do you use that particular chain lube?

Oh, and if it could be any better, how?

Cheers in advance

šŸ

vickster

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
Come on @Drago, even you were a new user at some point in the depths of time and I bet you asked questions that caused that reaction, I know I did.
I'm not knocking the question, it's fair enough.

My comment is a wry observation about the number of near identical threads that have appeared in recent days. Nothing more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not knocking the question, it's fair enough.

My comment is a wry observation about the number of near identical threads that have appeared in recent days. Nothing more.

The 'Force' is weak in these padawans. :wacko: GoogleFu is poor.

Something odd here. OP claims to have raced bikes in the past. He now claims to be some sort of expert on building wheels, and says that he has worked in bike shops. But he asks one of the most basic questions possible.

I smell TROLL.

OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

Something odd here. OP claims to have raced bikes in the past. He now claims to be some sort of expert on building wheels, and says that he has worked in bike shops. But he asks one of the most basic questions possible.

I smell TROLL.
You can smell troll all you like... People love to jump their own conclusions and ore judge without actually doing a little investigation themselves first šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

However, Iā€™m currently working on a chain lube at the moment, which personally Iā€™m quite happy with, however Iā€™m interested in what other people use and why, hence the question šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Sorry I asked.

OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

Ajax Bay

Guru
What chain lube do you use? For what kind of riding? Why do you use that particular chain lube?
Oh, and if it could be any better, how?
a popular question . . .
Iā€™m currently working on a chain lube
I did 'welcome' you. But recently (last 7 weeks) there has been an apparent surge of 'what oil' threads, which, given your interest and expertise, I assume (now) that as a lurker before joining you'd already scanned and extracted useful views/data.
I guess (presumptuous) that the usual suspects (posters on here ready to share their lubrication preferences, again, and again, . . .) would appreciate a higher quality question. And I think you'd benefit from rather more useful answers to help your quest.
Do tell us more about your development. What aspects do you think could be made better? Which products do YOU think comes closest to best for different applications/conditions? What do you think are the primary requirements for a chain lubricant. Give us something to get our teeth into and agree or discuss, for your benefit, and others interested.
@figbat is the known resident (hon) tribologist.
Chainsaw oil and comprehensive wiping, since you asked, for wet rural roads, and for the MTB over the Common.
Edit to add quote from another thread:
I've had a pair made for a MTB project for a reasonable cost, check this guy out, mine were fairly budget wheel but they are nicely made... check out this link Beespoke wheels really nice guy & years of cycling & wheel build experience.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Thanks for the mention @Ajax Bay. Iā€™ll admit that Iā€™m not especially well-versed in this kind of lubricant and application; slow, cold, open etc - these are more similar to industrial applications such as chains, wire ropes, conveyor belts etc which I have limited experience of.

I am often asked about ā€œwhatā€™s the best oil for...ā€ and my answer is almost always ā€œit dependsā€. However, given my supposed knowledge and experience of lubricants my own bikes get a very simple treatment. I mostly use Castrol Everyman on the chains through the wet times, applying before every ride. I use whatever branded ā€œdryā€ lube I have on hand through the summer - Muc Off or similar.

My main concern is less of lubrication and more of application - being able to quickly and cleanly apply something to the chain is enough for me and I tend to prefer dribbling onto a moving chain rather than a spray which can contaminate other surfaces including the brakes (and those of any other bikes in the vicinity). I prefer an oil rather than a wax.

My chains, cassettes and chainrings last me plenty long enough and Iā€™ve never had one fail. Sometimes the side plates of a chain might get a little corroded but I make sure they stay free.

Top Bottom