Lubrication...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
I did 'welcome' you. But recently (last 7 weeks) there has been an apparent surge of 'what oil' threads, which, given your interest and expertise, I assume (now) that as a lurker before joining you'd already scanned and extracted useful views/data.
I guess (presumptuous) that the usual suspects (posters on here ready to share their lubrication preferences, again, and again, . . .) would appreciate a higher quality question. And I think you'd benefit from rather more useful answers to help your quest.
Do tell us more about your development. What aspects do you think could be made better? Which products do YOU think comes closest to best for different applications/conditions? What do you think are the primary requirements for a chain lubricant. Give us something to get our teeth into and agree or discuss, for your benefit, and others interested.
@figbat is the known resident (hon) tribologist.
Chainsaw oil and comprehensive wiping, since you asked, for wet rural roads, and for the MTB over the Common.

No lurker here, straight in apparently asking a very common question 🤦‍♂️

Until recently my go to chain lube has been finish line wet lube for years now... but I find it gets really sticky and picks up lots of grit, which is never good, living on the edge of the Peak District and it’s a full degrease to remove...

Dry lubricants like Juice lubes tend to wash off quicker, which is better to keep the drivetrain clean but also washes off in wet weather.

So people use dry lube and are happy in applying it more often? Or is a wet lube preferable and is willing to spend more time degreasing and less time applying.

Why do we even have wet and dry lube? Is it a marketing ploy to buy 2 lubricants over 1?

🐝

OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

Thanks for the mention @Ajax Bay. I’ll admit that I’m not especially well-versed in this kind of lubricant and application; slow, cold, open etc - these are more similar to industrial applications such as chains, wire ropes, conveyor belts etc which I have limited experience of.

I am often asked about “what’s the best oil for...” and my answer is almost always “it depends”. However, given my supposed knowledge and experience of lubricants my own bikes get a very simple treatment. I mostly use Castrol Everyman on the chains through the wet times, applying before every ride. I use whatever branded “dry” lube I have on hand through the summer - Muc Off or similar.

My main concern is less of lubrication and more of application - being able to quickly and cleanly apply something to the chain is enough for me and I tend to prefer dribbling onto a moving chain rather than a spray which can contaminate other surfaces including the brakes (and those of any other bikes in the vicinity). I prefer an oil rather than a wax.

My chains, cassettes and chainrings last me plenty long enough and I’ve never had one fail. Sometimes the side plates of a chain might get a little corroded but I make sure they stay free.
I think your spot on with the application, I think people do want something easy and safe to apply 👍

What’s the reason for your preference with oil over wax?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think your spot on with the application, I think people do want something easy and safe to apply 👍

What’s the reason for your preference with oil over wax?
Mostly the ease with which it can be applied and, critically, cleaned afterwards. Waxes are quite tenacious and if not well-managed could accumulate over time whereas an oil will naturally never ‘overload’. The sprocket housing on my last motorbike was a good example of dirty wax accumulation - it was not a nice job to clean up.

weareHKR

Something odd here. OP claims to have raced bikes in the past.
He has... :smile:
He now claims to be some sort of expert on building wheels
He is... :smile:
and says that he has worked in bike shops.
But he asks one of the most basic questions possible.
Does he tho... :smile:
I smell TROLL.
No you don't... :smile:

Unfortunately, it's one of the problems with some forums Chris, always someone quick to jump... hopefully learned a lesson here... :laugh:

For the record- I've met Chris once back in January when I contacted him to make me a pair of wheels.
He went over & above what I expected with regards to his customer service & can vouch for his workmanship
When my wheels were ready I called in to collect them as I was in the area, spend a couple hrs with Chris talking bikes, absolute top bloke... :becool:

OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

He is... :smile:

Does he tho... :smile:

No you don't... :smile:

Unfortunately, it's one of the problems with some forums Chris, always someone quick to jump... hopefully learned a lesson here... :laugh:

For the record- I've met Chris once back in January when I contacted him to make me a pair of wheels.
He went over & above what I expected with regards to his customer service & can vouch for his workmanship
When my wheels were ready I called in to collect them as I was in the area, spend a couple hrs with Chris talking bikes, absolute top bloke... :becool:

🙌 🙌 🙌

I'll bung you that fiver later 🤣

🐝

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

Anyone use dry lube all year round?

Those that live somewhere it rarely rains need not reply 🤣🤣🤣 you lucky buggers.

🐝

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Anyone use dry lube all year round?

Those that live somewhere it rarely rains need not reply 🤣🤣🤣 you lucky buggers.

🐝
I had a go this year with muc off dry lube, which worked well while roads are dry. On my first wet ride with it the chain was squeaky after about 35 miles from freshly lubed, and it wasn't that wet. Back to wet lube until spring.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you wipe the chain down after letting wet lube get where it needs to go. Then no accumulation of dirt.

DRM

Guru
If you wipe the chain down after letting wet lube get where it needs to go. Then no accumulation of dirt.
If you ride off road, particularly in gritty Sandy conditions then wet lube is a no no regardless of how well you wipe the excess off, it turns to grinding paste

C R

Guru
If you ride off road, particularly in gritty Sandy conditions then wet lube is a no no regardless of how well you wipe the excess off, it turns to grinding paste
It does the same with the mud left by tractors in country lanes, problem is dry lube just washed off with 10 minutes of rain or a few waterlogged miles, so there's no wining in winter unless you limit yourself to A roads.

DRM

Guru
It does the same with the mud left by tractors in country lanes, problem is dry lube just washed off with 10 minutes of rain or a few waterlogged miles, so there's no wining in winter unless you limit yourself to A roads.
As I wrote previously, wet lube when wet, dry lube when it’s dry,

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It's always funny reading a thread like this. There really is no one answer and most of us here have developed are own regimes based on whatever works for us.

Despite what's been written upthread, I not only live in a sandy gritty area, I also ride predominately off-road and use Finish Line wet lube. I've never had a problem with it. I wipe the chain over with an oily rag and then drop a drop of oil on each pin. Then I wait 10 minutes for it to seep in before wiping off the excess. No oily gunky chains for me and from time to time I'll give the whole transmission a good going over, though I rarely degrease the chain. I also ride one of those new fangled 1x11 systems and have got over 4000km out of the cassette so far and I only recently popped a new chain on.

So whilst the above may not tally with others experiences it's worked for me.

OP
OP
Beespoke

Beespoke

It's always funny reading a thread like this. There really is no one answer and most of us here have developed are own regimes based on whatever works for us.

Despite what's been written upthread, I not only live in a sandy gritty area, I also ride predominately off-road and use Finish Line wet lube. I've never had a problem with it. I wipe the chain over with an oily rag and then drop a drop of oil on each pin. Then I wait 10 minutes for it to seep in before wiping off the excess. No oily gunky chains for me and from time to time I'll give the whole transmission a good going over, though I rarely degrease the chain. I also ride one of those new fangled 1x11 systems and have got over 4000km out of the cassette so far and I only recently popped a new chain on.

So whilst the above may not tally with others experiences it's worked for me.
Agreed, there's isn't one answer, but its great to hear what people are doing in different locations, riding conditions and riding types. 🐝

Top Bottom