Lucid Lynx anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started using ubuntu when my new laptop came with Vista and refused to do much of anything. I installed the Lucid RC and have been using the final version on my laptop and UNR on my netbook. I like it, it's evolution rather than revolution, I felt 9.10 was the biggest leap forward of the last two years. Although the wifi doesn't seem to want to stay connected for more than half an hour at a time but that's no great hardship, if I'm sitting at a computer for more than half an hour I should probably be doing something other than looking at the interweb.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That's odd, I haven't had any WiFi problems with any Ubuntu release and using it in a work environment for up to 14 hours at a time.

GrasB said:
It's not that strange, sometimes a particular hardware implementation just doesn't work well with the linux drivers.

+1 my wireless card has a broadcom chipset and kept dropping out, I found a fix and recompiled, but then it was absolutely solid.

If it drops out, find a way to fix it because it isn't right. - chances are someone has already done it and put it on t'interweb, working out what hardware you have is 90% of the solution.

2Loose said:
+1 my wireless card has a broadcom chipset and kept dropping out, I found a fix and recompiled, but then it was absolutely solid.

If it drops out, find a way to fix it because it isn't right. - chances are someone has already done it and put it on t'interweb, working out what hardware you have is 90% of the solution.

Broadcom here too. I expect it would be fine if I did a fresh install rather than an upgrade, I find that gets rid of a surprising amount of niggling annoyances. I might have another look around for a fix but to be honest it's not a major problem for me.

I'm running lucid Lynx on my old PC - thats working fine.
Hm.. tried LL on my EEEPC... the Netbook remix found my card alright but I didn't like the interface.. attempted to get wireless working with 10.04 desktop but failed... so going to try mint to see if its any good.

meenaghman said:
I didn't like the interface

If you log out and log in, where you are asked for your password there is the option (down at the very bottom of the screen) to select a normal Gnome session instead of the Notbook Rimex interface. Much better IMHO, although two panels when working with such limited vertical screen space seems overkill, but that's easily fixed.

Just installed Lucid on an old base unit this weekend, having previously used live editions of Ubuntu before. I rather like it. Nice clean interface, a few irritations like window resizing and close buttons being on the left rather than the right (fixed that straight away), and I haven't used a tenth of the installed gubbins as yet, but it hasn't fallen over yet, though I did get some backup software installed pretty quickly just in case.

In the process of working out how to move a copy of my Thunderbird email accounts from an Xp pc to the Ubuntu one. Anyone done this recently? I suppose I could manually re-enter the 5 sets of account details and configure them one at a time, but I'd rather not!

beanzontoast said:
a few irritations like window resizing and close buttons being on the left rather than the right (fixed that straight away)

How? not managed to figure it out yet.

More annoying though is the wireless card has now stopped working :ohmy:. Never dropped a connection with previous version, despite being left on for days at times.

Piemaster said:
How? not managed to figure it out yet.

More annoying though is the wireless card has now stopped working :biggrin:. Never dropped a connection with previous version, despite being left on for days at times.

Caution as always - do this at your own risk, etc, but it worked for me!

Press ALT+F2

Type gconf-editor

Go to Apps… Metacity… General

Find the entry called button_layout - it will currently say close,minimize,maximize

Click on it to make it active and replace the entry by typing menu:maximize,minimize,close [watch the spelling - minimize, not minimise, etc]

Click on another entry further down the list (say disable_workarounds) just to get off the button_layout entry to make sure the new setting has registered

Close the Configuration Editor window.

:rolleyes:

Carwash

Señor Member
beanzontoast said:
In the process of working out how to move a copy of my Thunderbird email accounts from an Xp pc to the Ubuntu one. Anyone done this recently? I suppose I could manually re-enter the 5 sets of account details and configure them one at a time, but I'd rather not!

Presume you've already checked the Mozilla website for help articles covering backing up/migrating accounts?

yello

Lucid on 4 machines here; desktop, 2 laptops and my EeePC 701 (NOT the UNR version btw, just vanilla). The wife's acer laptop has broadcom wireless too. No problems with any of the installs and all working fine.

Carwash said:
Presume you've already checked the Mozilla website for help articles covering backing up/migrating accounts?

Yes - there are some instructions elsewhere on the internet too, but since reading a bit more, I'm thinking I may as well give the new setup wizard thingy a go in Thunderbird 3 anyway just to see how intuitive it is. My accounts are a mix of IMAP and POP. Worst that can happen is I waste half an hour on it (5 accounts to set up) and then go back to doing some of them manually.

Top Bottom