Lucky to make it back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for that but, unfortunately, they are out of stock at the moment.
Wasn’t when I posted!

Merlin have for £18
https://www.merlincycles.com/sram-pc1130-11-speed-chain-93512.html

or £19 for the longer one from Halfords
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...pd-powerlock-chain-120link-silver-423437.html

or Planet X with code Sizzling30, either length
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CHSR1130/sram-pc1130-11-speed-chain

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just ordered a new 11 speed chain from Merlin for £17.99. I have never dealt with this firm before so let's see how good they are.
It will also be the first time I fit a chain on a bike. Hope all goes well and if it does, I might even attempt a new 11-34 cassette eventually , to replace the 11-32 I have at the moment. Will the chain be able to cope though?

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know why you were so worried Gav. My bike once caught fire and I still carried on riding it for the rest of the summer holidays before finding a bucket of water to extinguish it. Mind you, that was 1976.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have just ordered a new 11 speed chain from Merlin for £17.99. I have never dealt with this firm before so let's see how good they are.
It will also be the first time I fit a chain on a bike. Hope all goes well and if it does, I might even attempt a new 11-34 cassette eventually , to replace the 11-32 I have at the moment. Will the chain be able to cope though?
Merlin are very good.

Half way through a 20 miles ride, I stopped for a drink and noticed that ( see photo) on my chain.I knew something wasn't right on my way , so nursed the bike back, trying not to exert too much pressure on the chain. New chain for me next week then. View attachment 541808
Something similar has happened to me a few times, the tic , tic is annoying. Touch wood I've never had a 10 or 11sp chain fail on the road (I do carry a quick link and chain splitter just in case :laugh: )

I fixed a cyclist's chain at the side of the road, which had snapped, with one of my quick links and my chain remover. He had no tools or anything, he said he phones his wife to pick him up when he gets a problem.
When I first moved here 8 years ago I stopped for a bloke walking his bike. It turns out he had a simple p'ture which I offered to fix. He declined, he didn't carry tools or anything either and would just phone the OH :wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I first moved here 8 years ago I stopped for a bloke walking his bike. It turns out he had a simple p'ture which I offered to fix. He declined, he didn't carry tools or anything either and would just phone the OH :wacko:
I've had that kind of thing three times.

Once was a man in his 20s/30s in the Yorkshire Dales when I was on a forum ride. We could not persuade him to sort it out with our help - his OH would be required to drop what she was doing and drive over to get him (and it didn't even sound like a short drive...)!

Another was an older man. I'll see if I can find my original post on the subject...

I once met an old man pushing a mountain bike on the hills near Halifax. He'd got a puncture and hadn't managed to fix it so he was walking home with the bike. It turned out that he still had 3 or 4 miles to go. He didn't want to put me out, would be okay and so on, but I insisted that he let me help him. It only took about 10 minutes to sort him out.

And this... :wacko:

Someone out on a summer evening ride with me punctured and stood at the side of the road looking embarrassed until I finally asked him why he wasn't fixing it. Turned out that he no tools or spares with him! So, I fixed it ...

When I was done, I asked him why he had not been prepared and he cheerfully told me that "I don't need to carry all that crap - I never get punctures!" I politely informed him that I didn't see it as my place in life to be 'a carrier of the crap that my colleague doesn't want to carry' and that I would never repair a puncture for him again. If he wasn't prepared to repair his own bike, then he must be prepared to do his own walk! (Or phone his girlfriend and explain to her why she should have to rush out of her yoga class, jump in the car and drive 20 miles to get him just because he was too lazy to carry a couple of tyre levers, a pump and a spare tube and/or a puncture kit!)

and then you punctured his other tyre?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It does amaze me how a broken chain defeats people easily. A while back, I stopped to ask if a cyclist was in trouble. Turned out his gear hanger had snapped. I asked if he had a chain splitter with him and said just take out a few links and turn it into a SS. He did have a chain splitter with him, but he had decided to call out his OH to come out and collect him! Didn't even attempt a roadside repair.
That is less of an option in these days of vertical dropouts, since the sprocket you want might give an unacceptably slack chain. Depends how far home it is and how bumpy the road is.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey, how long a ride was it? ;)
Ok... Finished wearing out the tyre! :laugh:

You've got me thinking... I had given her my old mountain bike but it used to have knobbly tyres on so the semi-slicks had been put on later. She hadn't done enough riding to wear the tyres out herself and I hadn't used them on another bike, so where did I get them from? :whistle: I can't remember, but somebody had ridden at least a couple of thousand kms on them!

Top Bottom