Lucky to walk away - Romford Cyclist Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It really does bring home that feeling when you know the inevitable is going to happen and there is bugger all you can do about it.

I had the same coming together as the chap in the vid last October. Not nice. The guy who hit me admitted that he was not paying attention. But in his defence he did all that he could to help and also paid for the damage to the bike.

Maylian

Veteran
Shows you how faultless the cyclist is when no one on here has tried to suggest what he could do differently! :thumbsup:
That is a scary video, horrible seeing the bike/ wheel go flying off like that, lucky not to hit anyone. And as everyone else has said, fantastic dismount from the car and happy it is all sorted with only bruises to show for it.

As with many once you know you're going to hit or be hit there isn't much left but a quick f*ck or s**t before impact......

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Bloody hell, that was horrible.

Surely that got some action from the police, or was it another "sh*t happens" respone? I have to say, I loved the shout of "Oh f*ck off" just before impact, it had that wonderful air of resignation about it. Oh, and the dismount from the bonnet gets a 10 from me.

GC

thefollen

Veteran
Wow, you did far better than me three years ago! Experienced a similar situation but as opposed to performing some impressive acrobatics I bounced off the side of a BMW 1 series leaving me with a grade III shoulder separation. Glad you came out ok, that could have been rather nasty!

albion

Guru
Bloody hell, that was horrible.
That is standard I'm afraid. I have passed many a motorbike and bicycle caused in that way.
It has happened to myself too.Those ads that shout 'think Bike' are there because people refuse to.
That person really should be banned, the evidence being plain and simple.

It is also the police 'high tolerance' in these often life threatening incidents that encourage more of the same.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That is standard I'm afraid. I have passed many a motorbike and bicycle caused in that way.
It has happened to myself too.Those ads that shout 'think Bike' are there because people refuse to.

It is also the police 'high tolerance' in these often life threatening incidents that encourage more of the same.
It's more than the police, so don't just highlight them. It's the CPS, if they aren't going to prosecute drivers, then what can the police do?

Luke Redpath

As somebody who has cycled down that road on numerous occasions I can safely say that the cycle lanes are pretty useless. You have to take the lane to avoid getting overtaken through pinch points and there are places where he cycle lane just gives way to parking spaces.

Horrible crash and glad the cyclist is ok. Some of the driving in this area (Romford/Dagenham) is truly appalling.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Yup. I'd like to scream 'lifetime ban', but maybe a month long ban for the 1st offence if no real injury is caused, with an assured 1 year+ ban for a 2nd similar offence might encourage drivers to be a bit more aware in future.

100% agree that 'high tolerance' and an attitude of 'accidents happen' actively encourages careless and senseless driving.

Ganymede

Veteran
Yup. I'd like to scream 'lifetime ban', but maybe a month long ban for the 1st offence if no real injury is caused, with an assured 1 year+ ban for a 2nd similar offence might encourage drivers to be a bit more aware in future.

100% agree that 'high tolerance' and an attitude of 'accidents happen' actively encourages careless and senseless driving.
The only punishment you can really rely on for such people seems to be from their insurance companies. If they're insured, I suppose.

Crankarm

Guru
I would give that routine a 5.9.

The stuff of nightmares.

He was very lucky not to have been seriously injured or killed. The driver should be prosecuted and if not I would like a damn good reason why not as you can't argue with the head cam footage which clearly shows her driving was terrible.

Top Bottom