Lucozade energy drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

You *need* to drink little and often as well as eat little & often when out on a long ride. That helps keep your energy levels up and means you are less likely to 'bonk' or run out of energy and electrolytes. I find a combination of isotonic drinks with the odd energy gel and energy bar being nibbled on can keep me cycling for hours and hours and I don't get cramps (cramp being a sign of electrolyte depletion). Very useful in hot weather where you sweat a lot and when in touring mode, hauling a loaded bike as opposed to the road bike.

Try out a few different types of isotonic drinks to see which suits you in terms of flavour and digesting well. Example: husband prefers SiS GO, offspring swears by High5 4:1 and I'm happy with Lucozade Sport.

Also ensure that at the end of a long ride you take in some protein *quickly* to aid recovery for the next day of cycling. Chocolate milk is good in terms of a non 'scientific' drink. Offspring likes the High5 recovery stuff.

Big Bren

wafflycat said:
Chocolate milk is good in terms of a non 'scientific' drink. Offspring likes the High5 recovery stuff.

Seconded - I use Frij chocolate milk as a recovery drink, within 30 mins of finishing my ride/run/class. As well as containing all the appropriate protein and carbs, it's bloody lovely!

Bren

You can make all these drinks very easily and cheaply with fruit juice, water and a pinch of salt.

For hypotonic rehydration drinks, take 1 part juice, 2 parts water and a pinch of salt. This will be absorbed quickly to rehydrate you and has some energy.

For isotonic energy drink, 1:1 juice:water and a pinch of salt. This will be absorbed quickly and contains more energy.

For hypertonic drink 2:1 juice:water and a pinch of salt. This is best for slow endurance (walking, or long slow rides).

You shouldn't get to the stage when you bonk - it's too late, the damage is done. Drink isotonic little and often, and make sure you have enough complex carbohydrate fuel on board. BTFB, I know you are trying to lose weight - proper nutrition will enable you train for longer. You're not helping yourself by skimping on meals (if that's what you're doing - I don't know).

The fruit juice recipes are kinder to your teeth than Lucozade too - your dentist will be disappointed.

if you found Lucozade Sport too sweet then you may have been quite dehydrated.... the idea behind sports drinks is that your taste buds are heightened by exercise, so they tune down the sweetness, which is why powerbars, etc taste of nothing when eaten before exercise, but are stronger in taste when eaten on a ride.

if you need instant energy, then coke would be better as it's got sugar and caffeine... lucozade has glucose, which (if i can remember) has a slower release, so you don't get such a sugar rush and, subsequent, crash.

i once drank Lucozade Sport when i had a serious stomach bug and NHS direct reckoned it had saved me from hospitalisation, but also advised me to try Dioralyte as it has less sugar. i've since used that stuff as an 'isotonic' drink supplement!

L

Top Bottom