luggage how do you say sorry no we cant take that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markg0vbr

Über Member
pirol-alaska-canada-3.jpg

I do the camping/cooking gear thing when i do a trip, i have seen a man at York rally that had a large back pack, bum bag, handle bar bag, large front and rear panniers with a luggage roll on top of the rack towing a bob trailer. if they wont to pull all that crap around let them, but how would you broach the subject with some one you are going to be travelling with? a friend not a partner.
moz-screenshot.png

byegad

Legendary Member
I assume you are worried that they won't be able to keep up with you?

If that's the case simply tell them you have doubts about their speed. If they tell you they can average 16mph with a load like the picture they either have iron knees and a pain threshold past leg amputation, or, they are telling fibs!

I don't think it a question on the volume of stuff they want to bring along, it more a question of weight.
I find it hard/cannot pack things down small due to being single handed.
So whereas my gear on a trip takes up a lot of volume, it not that heavy.
The down side is that spare space does tend to get filled if your not carefull.

The other thing I've worked out is that I slow down ~1 mph per 10 kg of gear lugged in the trailer.
Without the trailer I'll average ~12 mph on the trike.
With the added resistance/weight of the trailer, this slows down to ~10 mph.
Add the weight of my camping gear and on a long trip I'll average ~8.5 mph.
Now add a hilly route when fully laden and that can drop to a low as 6 mph for the day.
This was when my ultra low gear of ~12.5" came in very usefull, winching up hills at ~3 mph
So its then a question of how far you want to go in a day.
As I was only aiming for ~40 miles per day, going at 6 mph was ok as it gave me a full day's ride.
So what type of dayly distance/speed where you aiming at ??
And do you think he would be fit enough to keep it up for the full tour ??
Remember one advantage of a trike is the ability to go very slow with ease.

Luck ............ :biggrin:

OP
OP
markg0vbr

markg0vbr

Über Member
that has helped a lot i was struggling how to explain my concerns.
time and distance are not that a big problem, it is when fully loaded with camping gear i just cruse along at a steady constant rhythm and when i have done around the miles required for the day, i will do a bit of shopping set-up camp and relax.
some fully loaded rides will need to be done, then i can point out how long it will take to travel x number of miles and it would not hurt me to have regular brakes.
if all the gear is absolutely essential i will have to target accordingly.

Depends who you travel with as well...

I have toured as above, with 4 panniers and a trailer.

However it has been a case of a fitter cyclist carrying gear for the less fit..... they can then keep a better pace and you are slightly slowed balancing out the differing abilities

Top Bottom