Lumpy Uneven Tyre After Tube Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

line71

Can anyone explain why my tyre has a huge dip at one point when i spin the wheel
I recently took it off to put a new tube in and it was fine prior to this now the bloody thing is a mess of uneven lumps
I,ve checked to see if its sitting square in the wheel,it is,ive inflated,de-inflated several times and even tried a couple of different tubes-all the same
its massively frustrating as its a relatively new tyre and i just cant ride it with this dip on every revolution
its a 23mm tyre
thanks

uclown2002

Guru
pic?

OP
OP
L

line71

Sorry,havent got the facilities to put up an image
its a rear wheel,23mm continental hardshell

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had the same and checked for a pinched tube several times. In the end , I just rode it five miles home. When I got there, it was perfect. Odd that.

Edit: mine was just one big lump, not several.

Sharky

Guru
I had some shwalbe marathon plus, 25mm with the anti puncture layer inside. Firstly it was an absolute nightmare to get it on the rim, then after a year, developed a bump. Tread was still in good condition, but after inspection noticed that the tread section was beginning to separate from the sidewall and the tyre was bumping at that point.

I suspect that they use the same width anti puncture layer for a 25mm tyre as they do for the larger tyres, but in the narrower 25mm tyres, it creates undue pressure on the side walls and eventually starts to split.

Keith

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'v had it where the bead doesn't seat evenly in the wheel. Is that what you have? I cured it by lubricating the bead with soapy water (washing up liquid) and inflating the tyre. A couple of odd popping noises as the tyre settled into the right place and all was well.
That's the most usual cause of your symptoms @line71
Otherwise check that the side wall is OK as Sharky indicates

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I support the not fully bedded in theory. I replaced the rear tyre on one of my son's bicycles a year or so ago and when riding it noticed a bump bump bump. I actually thought the tyre was faulty as it appeared that the sidewall was less deep at the flat spot - but on removing the tyre it appeared to be fine. After refitting it more carefully the problem was solved. Also check that the tyre is fully bedded at the valve by deflating the inner tube and pushing the valve into the tyre carcass before reinflating it.

Last edited:
U

User6179

Just sent tyre back with flat spot , nout you can do if tyre is not round , the higher the pressure the more deformed it gets , sometimes it will snake the tube as it catches it between the rim.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had that happen on one forum ride. I rode home on the tyre and then investigated. It turned out that the tyre had split internally but the outside of it was unmarked, apart from the tell-tale bulge! It was pretty scary, because it looked like it could have popped at any moment and I had done over 40 mph downhill on it earlier that day ...

U

User6179

I had that happen on one forum ride. I rode home on the tyre and then investigated. It turned out that the tyre had split internally but the outside of it was unmarked, apart from the tell-tale bulge! It was pretty scary, because it looked like it could have popped at any moment and I had done over 40 mph downhill on it earlier that day ...
After 4 Ultremos bulging was on top of a big climb and paranoid about them ,checked the warranty replacement and found a bulge , was a strava segment where I was 20th from about 600 riders and about to go for it , never again with Ultremos :smile:

nuttall1991

Have you tried part inflating the tyre, bouncing it on the ground and rotating as you do so, deflating the tyre, then pumping the tyre up fully? Saw it on a youtube video and apparently it gets rid ok kinks etc in your inner tube...

SotonCyclist

Got something similar with my rear tyre at the moment, I cant feel anything wrong until I go for a ride and then every rotation theres a bump. Going to try some of these solutions, cheers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Talc.

Had that with my new Mich Pro4's Endurance last night. Didn't talc one and it was a pain. Talc'ed the other (inside of tyre and tube) and it took a third of the time. Me being lazy not going back in the house to nick the missus talc !

Some tyres seat easily, some are a bit tight. If you've not used talc, they may be a little tight and not pop into place on pumping up. As mine were inflating, the tyre bead popped into place a few times.

Top Bottom