Lunch ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
When I was working, I cycled 13.5 miles each way...a double decker sarny, pork pie, crisps, lots of fruit, chocolate bar....made a lovely lunch :biggrin:

SimonC

fossyant said:
Erm can't you just get the missus to make up some sarnies at home in the morning, or night before, and take them in with you - i.e. in a buttie box - that's what I do !

All sorted now;)

skrx

purplepolly said:
Do couscous instead - measure out portions at home then at work add the correct quantity of boiling water (the packet should give details) and just leave for 5 minutes or so and it'll absorb the water.

Earlier this year I regularly had cous-cous. Asda sell a premixed "Lemon and Herbs Cous Cous Spice" (also "Tomato and Herbs"), both are pretty good - a couple of teaspoons into the cous cous is a big improvement. I added half a pepper, some cherry tomatoes, either chick peas or cashew nuts, sometimes a few raisins, once some chopped fresh spinach.

Taking it to work wasn't a problem as I usually leave the panniers on my bike. It was mostly because I don't like sandwiches (I get bored quickly) and needed something I could make with either boiling water and a microwave.

However, for the last couple of months I've been lazy and just bought food. It's expensive, but justified because it's very good quality. As it gets colder I'll probably make my own meals more often.

chap

Veteran
Lunchtime humdrums

amasidlover said:
I'm stuck in a rut with lunch ideas and end up buying pre-prepared sandwiches which are expensive and aren't helping to shift weight...

I'm cycling 10 miles each way to work between 2 and 4 times per week but can't necessarily predict the days. In terms of food preparation area; I have a fridge a kettle and my desk...

Because I can't predict the days I'll be in, I need things that are long lasting or can be bought in small enough quantities to be used in one day.

I'm in Levenshulme and there aren't any places (that I know of) that sell anything both healthy and appealling enough to eat.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Get fruit and nut packs, those are legendary and perfect for the cyclist, alas waaaaay overpriced :biggrin:

My favourites include:

• Cranberries and Macademia Nuts
  • Almonds and Bannana's
  • Raisens, Sultanas and mixed nuts
Also make your own sandwiches or salads, or Pasta dishes. You can also spice these up with various cooked meals (tupper-ware and plastic bags are your friends) such as Curries, Lasagne, and Hotpots.

Go on life need not consist solely of Supermarket sandwiches, pasta and salads. Go nuts ;)

Top Bottom