Lunch ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not a big lunch person, but I do like hummous with crackers. Not sure if it'd do you for lunch, but then all you need is the hummous in the fridge. Brilliant hummous from 8th Day &/or Unicorn (it's the same make at both) - San Amvrosia (?) I think. You'd need to finish a pot in a week or so, it doesn't last forever.
Or, perhaps, soup - you could make it at home super-concentrated (if cup-a-soup or thermos doesn't do it for you) and dilute liberally with boiling water...?
You can also make Tabouleh (excuse my spelling of exotic foods!) - it's one of those add water and wait things IIRC - again can buy dried Tabouleh from Unicorn.

Trevrev

Veteran
Batchelors super noodles for me........Just boil a kettle, put in a bowl and leave to soak for five minutes or so........Mix in some chopped salad ( if you have time to prepare before you leave for work )..Lovely.
Low fat cuppa-soap, mid morning with some carrots and celery to take away hunger pangs.
Afternoon is fruit time...Banana, apple and orange........
A snickers bar 15 minutes before i leave work to give me an energy boost for mile 8miles home.
I find coz i'm in my 40's now, i seemed to have to watch what i eat so carefully.......The one thing i avoid is bread !!! No matter what colour ,shape or size ! Bread makes you fat......Leave it out and you'll lose weight.

Bananas

Get yourself a banana guard -(from any half decent department store or outdoor emporium) it doesn't matter if you're a rucksack wearer or the pannier sort - you'll be able to get one of Fyfes finest to work and it'll still look like a banana that you would want to eat!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Uncle Mort said:
You just put them in a jug and pour biling water over them and drain after a couple of minutes.

Don't you mean, "You jest pot them in a jag and peer biling witer over them and droon them after a ciple of manoutes"? Well, that's what Officer Crabtree (of 'allo 'allo) would say!

jay clock

Massive member
I'm stuck in a rut with lunch ideas and end up buying pre-prepared sandwiches which are expensive and aren't helping to shift weight..
Homemade are possibly healthier, but one big benefit of premade sarnies is the calories on the pack make it very easy to control the intake. 300 cals is 300 cals, whereas with homemade stuff it is much easier to drift upwards.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm can't you just make up some sarnies at home in the morning, or night before, and take them in with you - i.e. in a buttie box - that's what I do !

OP
OP
amasidlover
fossyant said:
Erm can't you just make up some sarnies at home in the morning, or night before, and take them in with you - i.e. in a buttie box - that's what I do !

I switched to commuting with repair kit in a saddlebag and cycle glasses, wallet and keys in jersey pockets some time ago - so that I could avoid carrying a bag every day...

Equally if I made sandwiches small enough to fit in a jersey pocket they'd probably be pretty low calorie!

I normally end up going past work every saturday to go shopping in Cambridge, so I tend now to take all my weekly clothes and food.

I take a new box of cereal, 4 pints of milk, 2 jars of pasta sauce and 2 packs of pre cooked filled pasta, then heat them up for lunch each day.

I was eating a chicken breast and 2 pitta breads from M & S each day, but this was expensive, and they are closing anyway !

humptygocart

You want a wholemeal bap, one of those ones with molar-cracking seeds in it. Spread with butter. Yes, butter, you're a cyclist, it's allowed. Then sliced tomatos, lettuce, cucumber and raw onion rings, then two doorsteps of cheddar (you can substitute brie if you're some kind of ponce) and then a generous slathering of sweet pickle. Eat with a bag of cheese and onion crisps and you will experience Complete Awareness.

purplepolly

amasidlover said:
Sounds good - not sure how I'd prepare the pasta though, surely cold pasta would be a bit crunchy ;)

Do couscous instead - measure out portions at home then at work add the correct quantity of boiling water (the packet should give details) and just leave for 5 minutes or so and it'll absorb the water.

Bugner

Mid Morning Hunger Pains. Just have a bag of Almonds in your desk drawer, handful of these do the trick. Good source of protein and good fats + vitamin E :-)

Top Bottom