Lunch in York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugo15

Über Member
Going to York in a weeks time for the day for Mrs Hugo15's birthday and looking for somewhere nice for lunch. Anyone got a good recommendation?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Wow....the world is your oyster in York. It seems every other shop is an eaterie.

Mrs A and I, old fogeys that we are love Little Betty's in Stonegate, but I know that won't be to all tastes. Ping Arch. She's best to advise.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Melton's two or La Tasca. My favourite is Gert & Henry's but I don't think it's open at dinnertime, only tea time. Or there's Totos's.

Toto's is great, but doesn't do lunch. Melton's Too or Betty's would be my choices for a not-TOO-extravagant treat meal.

Gert & Henry's for definite, and they are open for lunch until 2.30 pm; Lois & I had dinner there last Saturday evening ...... we had the Mussels wrapped in Bacon for starter, and for the main course we had the Pork cutlet in the cream & cider sauce ..... absolutely divine.

Also worth considering is Michael's brasserie in low Petergate (just around the corner from York minster).

Lois had the Honey & mint roasted Lamb shank with tempura vegetables, and I had the Roasted Guinea fowl with Roast potatoes and a side salad. Again, we both enjoyed our wonderful meals.

http://www.york360.co.uk/restaurants/michaels-brasserie.htm

lady_rider

Melton's Too is great for dinner or lunch http://www.meltonstoo.co.uk/index.htm. For lunch (they don't open for dinner), you can't beat Le Langhe http://www.lelanghe.co.uk/index.php. And for full on class, yes, Betty's, but make sure you book if you can or you'll be waiting in a queue for a LONG time.

Nether Lois or I rated Betty's or little Betty's; Both had been recommended by friends, but the service and especially the food were disappointing. We also went into the Bullivant and found the service appalling with the manageress being extremely curt, bordering on rude with all the customers.

Another place that we ate at was Wildes in Swinegate; at the end of the ally from the Barley Hall. Lois had the feta Salad with pitta bread, and I had the Dijon Beef and vegetables. Both meals were good to excellent, and of a reasonable price, the service was unhurried but attentive, with the girls being very polite and courteous, and so deserve my recommendation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gareth said:
Nether Lois or I rated Betty's or little Betty's; Both had been recommended by friends, but the service and especially the food were disappointing. We also went into the Bullivant and found the service appalling with the manageress being extremely curt, bordering on rude with all the customers.

I think you were unlucky with Betty's. Bullivants, I've always found to be ok, although they did once bizarrely turn us away at 4.30, being shut - odd for a tea room, at tea time.

A vote for Melton's Too from me too. If you fancy Chinese, Happy Valley in Goodramgate is my local Chinese restaurant and takeaway, and very good - I think they are open at lunchtime. Or for relatively cheap and very cheerful Italian, La Piazza (almost opposite Happy Valley) is a proper family run Italian place, in a lovely old building with beams and whatnot.

HelenD123 said:
Spandex really rates this place but I haven't eaten there myself. He used to be a chef in York so I'd trust his recommendation.

Ill have to take you there when we both get back you will love it. Thats if I have a job and some where to live! given I gave both up to come to Canada:wacko:

Most of all the recommendations here are good just take you pick

Top Bottom