Lurking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi again, all. :hello:

I've spent the last 3 months lurking on CycleChat, but not posting. There are various reasons why, some personal, but probably at least partly prompted by CycleChat's SCPexit kerfuffle. I just got a bit down, and really couldn't think of anything to post that anyone else would want to read.

Over the last 3 months, I spent a bit more time than usual visiting my Mum and Dad over the Christmas / New Year period, because they're both getting on a bit, and my Dad has pancreatic cancer, so any time spent with them is time well spent. Mortality has been in my thoughts a lot, lately because of that, and it didn't help that I turned 50 last year: I really didn't want to know about that.

To stave off encroaching age, I've booked yet another alpine cycling tour, this time just in the French Pyrenees. Last year's trip and the year before that, I cycled both the Pyrenees and the Alps, but this year, I'm focusing on the Pyrenees only. It's longer, this time, with exactly 28 days of cycling planned, 15 based at Pyractif, a cyclists' B&B in Bertren (about 30km north of Bagneres-de-Luchon), and then 12 based at the Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, another cyclists' B&B based in Saint-Savin (about 5km south of Argeles-Gazost). The latter B&B I visited last year, but only for 3 days, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time, the list of Pyrenean cols I'll be visiting is pretty extensive, including such highlights as Col du Tourmalet, Cirque de Troumouse, Superbagneres, and Lac de Cap de Long, and many more. The trip, including flights, goes from 4th Sep to 8th Oct, so I have a long wait for it.
cycling-smiley-uphill.gif
:bicycle:

While you're all no doubt eagerly looking for the first traces of spring, I'm hoping for autumn, because it's really, really hot over here (as any of you following the Australian Open tennis will have noticed). Where I live, it was 31°C on Friday, then 21 overnight, 34 on Saturday, then 24 overnight, 37 yesterday, then 28 overnight. I just lay in bed all night sweating. :sweat: It's forecast to be 35 today, then finally a cool change will arrive, and it will be about 21 tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that.

My legs are handling my new longer commute reasonably well. It used to be about 285km a week with about 3300m climbing, but for the last 2 weeks of December and the last 3 weeks, it's been 310km a week with about 3700m climbing. This should help me handle the Pyrenees tour reasonably well, particularly since the tour is self-guided, since I'm just using the 2 B&Bs as my base for various out-and-back type rides, so I can do them at my own speed.

Regards,

--- Victor.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi again, all. :hello:

I've spent the last 3 months lurking on CycleChat, but not posting. There are various reasons why, some personal, but probably at least partly prompted by CycleChat's SCPexit kerfuffle. I just got a bit down, and really couldn't think of anything to post that anyone else would want to read.

Over the last 3 months, I spent a bit more time than usual visiting my Mum and Dad over the Christmas / New Year period, because they're both getting on a bit, and my Dad has pancreatic cancer, so any time spent with them is time well spent. Mortality has been in my thoughts a lot, lately because of that, and it didn't help that I turned 50 last year: I really didn't want to know about that.

To stave off encroaching age, I've booked yet another alpine cycling tour, this time just in the French Pyrenees. Last year's trip and the year before that, I cycled both the Pyrenees and the Alps, but this year, I'm focusing on the Pyrenees only. It's longer, this time, with exactly 28 days of cycling planned, 15 based at Pyractif, a cyclists' B&B in Bertren (about 30km north of Bagneres-de-Luchon), and then 12 based at the Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, another cyclists' B&B based in Saint-Savin (about 5km south of Argeles-Gazost). The latter B&B I visited last year, but only for 3 days, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time, the list of Pyrenean cols I'll be visiting is pretty extensive, including such highlights as Col du Tourmalet, Cirque de Troumouse, Superbagneres, and Lac de Cap de Long, and many more. The trip, including flights, goes from 4th Sep to 8th Oct, so I have a long wait for it.
View attachment 393711 :bicycle:

While you're all no doubt eagerly looking for the first traces of spring, I'm hoping for autumn, because it's really, really hot over here (as any of you following the Australian Open tennis will have noticed). Where I live, it was 31°C on Friday, then 21 overnight, 34 on Saturday, then 24 overnight, 37 yesterday, then 28 overnight. I just lay in bed all night sweating. :sweat: It's forecast to be 35 today, then finally a cool change will arrive, and it will be about 21 tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that.

My legs are handling my new longer commute reasonably well. It used to be about 285km a week with about 3300m climbing, but for the last 2 weeks of December and the last 3 weeks, it's been 310km a week with about 3700m climbing. This should help me handle the Pyrenees tour reasonably well, particularly since the tour is self-guided, since I'm just using the 2 B&Bs as my base for various out-and-back type rides, so I can do them at my own speed.

Regards,

--- Victor.
Good to see you here again. With that for a commute the Pyrennées will be a breeze!

Sorry to hear about your dad, I should have added. Lost my brother to cancer last year, but harder to handle when it's your father.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Sorry to hear about your dad like @odav says it's time well spent and it put things into perspective. My thoughts to you and your family through this hard time. Your tour coming up sounds awesome like @deptfordmarmoset says your commute sounds more than enough to get you prepared for the tour!

Drago

Legendary Member
Good to see you back with us ;)

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, we're all going to die at some point in time. It's a strange attitude we have to death, pretending or ignoring it's not going to happen to us, until it does............

Top Bottom