Lust of the consumer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One reads on these threads the odd dark and negative reference to cars being some sort of consumer fetish item in an imagined world where every motorist vies with all others to have the latest registration, the biggest motor, the most airbags or the glitsiest wheels.

I dare say that is so among some, but as a reluctant convert from the 2cv to swifter, quieter 4-cyclinder machines I am not in their number.

However, many of us who have cycled since Noah was building boats have noticed something similar among cyclists in the past 10 years or so.

How many posts do I see on CC where someone is 'loving their 2012 Cube' or 'loving their Di2 Specialized Whizzbang 7'?

There is a sneaky fringe of cash-value snobbery and carbon one-upmanship in every hobby, pastime or fetish.

Whenever I read the outpourings of cyclists about how grasping, acquisitive and BHP-lusting motorists can be (making us into latter-day Mr Toads) I am reminded of the cyclists one sees on these pages and hears out on their gel-fed training rides, discussing carbon this and Ultegra that - as though their 'investment' has made them the rightful best mate to Mario Cippolini.

If this seems far-fetched, go to Richmond Park on any Sunday.

Just an observation, but in light of some of the anti-motorist writing on here about snobbery, entitlement and using 2 tons of steel to replace what God gave us a small version of... it seems appropriate.

Thoughts, anyone?

400bhp

Guru
From between the froth posted ;) I think you are saying people that buy bikes can be as selfish in their purchase as the motorist, and that we [cyclists] shouldn't get on our high horses about motorists?

Am I correct?

Crosstrailer

I agree to a degree. There are double standards from some.

While as cyclists we can all relate many accounts of poor driving from motorists the overwhelming majority of drivers (99.99%) cause me no problems whatsoever.

Unfortunately a very small minority of non driving cyclists on this website post sweeping generalisations about motoring and cars which are akin to some of the rubbish we have all had flung in our direction as cyclists from that 00.01% of moronic motorists (Road tax, all cyclists are idiots etc etc).

From both parties, negative, unhelpful nonsense with a completely false self-superior air.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
People have fetishised objects since we lived in caves, and probably before that too. Modern society has industrialised that tendency. We are acquisitive creatures and link ownership of certain objects and resources to our sense of (self) worth. We don't have to play the game, and many of us know the game peddled by the boys marketing the motors, freedom, open roads, empty passes is very far for reality of car ownership in UK these days. For bikes? Not so much.

Now stop distracting me, I'm trying to buy a Mac Book Pro because the last one has died an early death.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I agree to a degree. There are double standards from some.

While as cyclists we can all relate many accounts of poor driving from motorists the overwhelming majority of drivers (99.99%) cause me no problems whatsoever.

Unfortunately a very small minority of non driving cyclists on this website post sweeping generalisations about motoring and cars which are akin to some of the rubbish we have all had flung in our direction as cyclists from that 00.01% of moronic motorists (Road tax, all cyclists are idiots etc etc).

From both parties, negative, unhelpful nonsense with a completely false self-superior air.
How do you know? For instance I drive and I'm second to none in my criticism of a society organised on the assumption of car ownership, and rubbish driving, and would quite happily see fuel taxes/car ownership and operation taxes raised considerably above current levels.

Lee_M

Guru
But without starting a war, you seem to be falling into a similar trap of criticising those who have the money and inclination to buy a nice bike as though that means they aren't serious cyclists

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
In my experience (at least in person) cyclists are much more likely to brag about getting high performance out of their cheapo crap heap than out of expensive bikes. If Probike made a road bike for fifty quid I would seriously consider buying one and doing a 150 mile ride on it just for kicks.

Weird huh.

A better question would be whether internet debates about anything actually breed greater resentment than already exists or in fact help us all face down our demons and learn new respect and tolerance: I'd like to know that but couldn't be arsed asking it on a new thread, Someone do the honours for me please. If you could include their effect on apathy, that'd be great too.

400bhp

Guru
But without starting a war, you seem to be falling into a similar trap of criticising those who have the money and inclination to buy a nice bike as though that means they aren't serious cyclists

We'll have to wait until he replies, but I think he's saying that those who buy nice bikes shouldn't pour scorn on those that buy nice cars.

Or something.

Norm

Thoughts, anyone?
Yes. You can't spell pastime. :biggrin:

Agree with the rest of it, although such obvious hypocrisy from certain quarters does make me smile and leaves me feeling a little bit sad for the poster. But only a little bit, I generally get over it within a few microseconds.

Crosstrailer

How do you know? For instance I drive and I'm second to none in my criticism of a society organised on the assumption of car ownership, and rubbish driving, and would quite happily see fuel taxes/car ownership and operation taxes raised considerably above current levels.

I would not class your comments or opinion in the group I am referring to. With the greatest of respect I would ask you to re-read the sentence in question in my post - it isn't commenting on what you post in reply Mr Collins !!!!!

Hip Priest

Veteran
My bikes are cheap and my car is cheap so as far as this debate is concerned I intend to remain in a state of envious self-righteousness.

I used to lust after nice cars I could never afford, so I stopped reading glossy car magazines and the lust disappeared. Likewise for Cycling Plus...etc

My own consumer fetish is for books. I cannot pass a bookshop without going in, and thankfully it's a lust I can pursue without costing the earth.

But if you touch any of my books I'll put you on your arse.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I have a 2012 Cube agree GTC Di2...
A Trek 1.5.....
A Trek 7.3 FX....

And I'm only on this planet as a living, breathing organism for a certain amount of time, so I'll enjoy it how I see fit, without anyone telling me any different.

Boris Bajic has a crappy bike.....:giggle:

Top Bottom