Lycra ban in NZ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what's all this disgust about male genitals
have you seen them? :laugh:

But seriously, I think this is a sexism issue. I bet they aren't kicking out women in yoga pants, or strappy summer dresses, or thin t-shirts etc etc. I think the "men's bodies are disgusting" meme is a nasty, repressive one. I think the sexism is mostly still coming from heterosexual men, the same pressure on older or fatter women to cover up. Men like seeing bodies they fancy, and don't like seeing ones they don't.

(though after a quick google, I bet this is just a publicity stunt. They probably don't get many cyclists, so losing the custom of a few to get nationwide or international publicity is probably a good deal. It's pub set picturesquely in the middle of a large carpark. )

fimm

Veteran
But seriously, I think this is a sexism issue. I bet they aren't kicking out women in yoga pants, or strappy summer dresses, or thin t-shirts etc etc. I think the "men's bodies are disgusting" meme is a nasty, repressive one. I think the sexism is mostly still coming from heterosexual men, the same pressure on older or fatter women to cover up. Men like seeing bodies they fancy, and don't like seeing ones they don't....
I was more thinking about the wider "men's bodies are disgusting" thing, rather than this individual case. And I agree with what you say. I hadn't seen the "pressure on older or fatter women to cover up" as part of the same mindset, but I think you are right that it is.

What I don't understand, is why it is so shocking that a man has a penis and testicles, and, if he wears tighter clothing, this is more apparent. I mean, what's all this disgust about male genitals? It is no more unpleasant than the fact that I have breasts and a vagina.
Many years ago in the 70's, tight jeans and a bulge were a fashion statement for many rock bands

We went to a fancy dress party as rock stars with tight jeans and an augmented bulge ..... Down each leg

Caused a lot of amusement

You almost manage to make this sound like a bad thing, as opposed to half a bad thing.
Having experienced both sides of this, I'll say that having a stranger tell me he likes my body** is marginally better than having him tell me he doesn't like my body, but both pale in comparison with him shutting the fark up.

**or telling me exactly what he wants to do to my body

Last edited:
Top Bottom