Lycra clad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Why is dressing appropriately for cycling always referred to as 'Lycra Clad' in the media,as if it were some kind of fetish. Like many here I cut my teeth on wool shorts with real chamois (like you clean windows with) inserts and I can tell you which is more comfortable.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I found out on the news a day or so ago that I'm a MAMIL, middle aged man in lycra, hadn't heard it before, my wife certainly found it amusing :cursing:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It looks like some kind of fetish :tongue: Im not really sure of the point of it either outside of racing, is it for speed or comfort?

Ive been plenty comfortable in padded shorts with baggies and a technical tshirt/cycling shirt up top, then should i decide to stop for food on the way home im not standing out like the polish cycling team :whistle:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have a pair of Lycra shorts I bought when I was in my late 20's. I was too self concious to wear them then. Then I piled on the weight and couldn't get into them but kept them thinking, one day I'll wear them. And now I do. Having lost lots of weight they fit me again and I'm of that age where I don't give a monkeys what others see when they look at me ride by. I even went into Leicester on Monday, to an interview (not really an interview, a meeting with another teaching agency) in Lycra. I think it went in my favour that I was still fit enough to cycle, the 18 miles in just under the hour, at my advanced age (almost 56) :becool:.

The GF though has banned me from calling into her office when I'm in Lycra.

I've got to put my bike pump and tool-kit somewhere :angel:.

Its a label, like WAG, youth, curvy, terrifying etce etc that the popular press use to create certain images for their readership. 'Lycra-clad' makes them think of cyclists who in their (the readers) eyes want to be TDF team members, not just ordinary bods who like riding bikes and find lycra clothing the most comfortable to wear whilst doing it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The first time I went our for a ride clad in lycra, I felt very self conscious. Now I couldnae give a toss. I e even wore a Campagnolo shirt today on my Shimano equipped roadie. :smile:

-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

tyred

Legendary Member
The first time I went our for a ride clad in lycra, I felt very self conscious. Now I couldnae give a toss. I e even wore a Campagnolo shirt today on my Shimano equipped roadie. :smile:

Sent mobile phone stylee

I'm still looking for a shirt which says SIMPLEX....

asterix

Comrade Member
Because there are many variations of 'cycling', lycra is not appropriate for all and 'Lycra clad' usually describes a certain type of cyclist. :smile:

..but in reality the only 'type of cyclist' that lycra-clad describes is one wearing lycra shorts, i.e. tourers, road cyclists, mtb riders and commuters. It would narrow things down a bit if the classification was non-lycra-clad-person-riding- a-bicycle [-shaped-object]. Unless you are in Holland which is of course flat and/or wet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Sent mobile phone stylee

OMG... shimagnolo mix.

toroddf

I have had some girls laughing their heads off on my bikerides. But with 100 000 surplus ladies in Scotland and me already taken, my bare skin is the closest most of them will ever get to male flesh. Guess who has got the last laugh now.

Top Bottom