Lycra......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
400bhp said:
Swimmers don't wear g-strings.

If you go to the baths you wear some kind of swimming apparel.

You have the approval of an internet forum if you get asked-bet that'll go down well.

JFDI

Actually, there was a chap who used to swim at our local pool wearing a beige thong. He was no Adonis either... and could clear a lane completely in a very short space of time.

JNR

I'm new to road biking and got all the gear in one go, literally everything you would need to start off. Little tool kit, pump, wedge bag, spare inners, carbon shoes (the cheaper ones didn't fit properley and felt awful, and I was getting 40% off...), clipless pedals, helmet, light carbon bike the lot.

I've done more than a hundred miles in less than a week on it. That was out, every evening after work, on the roads with rush hour traffic at times and I didn't get any hassle, apart from one person shouting something at me (I think he said 'crash it!'). I had no chaffing, I didn't have pains associated with anything other than my lack of fitness.

I've been running for years and can train for races very effectively but I haven't been exercising lately. In the winter I wear Saucony lycra leggings because they are comfy and warm. When it came to buying cycling gear I just got what I thought would be most effective, full bib shorts and a jersey and I wear hilly double layer socks for my shoes (I swear by them). I can honestly say that every pound I spent was worth it.

The only thing letting me down is my legs. I went out on it, 5th day in a row of ownership and hit a massive hill about 5 miles into my journey in the countryside back roads, one I hadn't noticed in the car. My legs felt like they were on fire. I was almost at the point of becoming stationary, even on low gears I said I would try to avoid using. It was ridiculous, but at least I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the only thing letting my cycling down is me, not my kit. It was my own fault for not taking rest days but when you've got a new toy begging to be used it's hard to resist getting on it for a ride! Time to get fitter and healthier, I felt like a massive knob clipping out and recovering at the side of the road in full lycra, WHITE shoes and posh bike... :blush:

Canardly

Veteran
Wearing decent kit does make a hell of a difference to comfort if going for a run of any length but lycra doesn't have to be worn on the outside.

JNR

Canardly said:
Wearing decent kit does make a hell of a difference to comfort if going for a run of any length but lycra doesn't have to be worn on the outside.

In June's sunshine I'm not going to be putting more clothes on than absolutely necessary, I've gone past caring what people think!

JNR

Bayerd said:
You looked like a massive knob as well, I saw you :becool:

Not in Huddersfield you didn't!

:becool:

Canardly

Veteran
Aye famous lycra twanging sound on sunday mornings accompanied by loud local greeting of Aye up chuck.........the mind boggles. incidentally black pud inserted under shorts chamois works a real treat.....Question why have most of our successful cyclists come from northern counties?

My preferred commuting gear is decathlon baggy top and Troy Lee MTB shorts. It's because the shorts give protection in a crash, and not at all that in lycra I would look like I'd escaped from Little Britain! :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fossy, I'd no idea you were such an image chicken!! For me it's full on roadie kit, both on the way to work, and at work as well. Even better when I can show off the waxed legs.

I must admit I love my lycra! I started off with baggy shorts (with the lycra liner underneath). I have now progressed onto lycra bibshorts. I love them!

I quite often go to meetings in my lycra and apart from the odd comment, no-one bats an eyelid. Everyone knows I'm the mad cyclist who's been in the papers, anyway! :biggrin:

Top Bottom