Lycra......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
white is horrid but I had some fairly light blue ones once that were very smart

Vincealot

I've been wearing Lycra longs and shorts to work for about 5 months now. At first I got loads of stick and I was very self concious. Now I couldnt give two hoots.

I was leaving work one day (work as a security guard) and all the warehouse workers were outside on break. One of the guys (infront of some girls etc) said "Haha last time i seen a pair of legs like that were on a chicken". I replied "Mate, my legs hardly look like chickens, infact why is it always the ugly F**kers make comments regarding how I LOOK!. Cuz lets be honest mate I'd rather look like me then you, infact roll ur trousers up lets take a look at you legs!"

He didnt relpy instead he just pretended he didnt hear me. Not much has been said since then.

Admitedly when I first wore lycra I was heavier and yes I didnt have a pro rider physique. But now I'm slimmer and my legs are alot more toned. People generally comment on how powerful my legs look :becool: and friends are now quite envious of my fitness.

SBH

400bhp said:
Stop being vacuous.

It's utilitarian clothing. You look like a million other cyclists.

JDFI

I don't think I'm being vacuous at all but thanks for the input.

:biggrin:

Cycling clothing is no more utilitarian than a swimming costume but that doesn't mean I'm about to go and do a few lengths at the local sports centre in a g-string. Nor do I subscribe to the idea of displaying sausages in the vegetarian aisle should I pop into a shop on the way home just because you'd have me believe a "million other cyclists" have no awareness of what the rest of the world is looking at.

From the more sensible replies, I think the way forward is somewhere between steering clear of white and getting something which has slightly thicker material. I've got my eye on a nice white tri suit which has black patches in the "interesting" areas!

martint235

Dog on a bike
You can get some lycra shorts, Nike certainly do them, where the padding at the front come up a little bit higher, thereby hiding all the "interesting bits"

dub-no-bass

I wear lycra shorts, but with baggy, very normal/street-looking Race Face 3/4 baggy shorts over the top. This is mostly because there will be some people who appreciate a woman with a big bum wearing lycra, and some who will not. But mostly for myself, because I feel a bit exposed in lycra, and the 3/4 baggies are the most comfortable thing I've ever cycled in.

The other issue is that to me, lycra says roadie, and I'm not really a roadie. I'm just a girl cycling to work and back. So hopefully it'll discourage people from trying to race me - I'm not a roadie so don't want to race. And I don't want blokes clanking past in huffy-puffy overtakes then slowing down in front of me as soon as they've passed, thus spoiling my view of the road ahead :biggrin:

mark barker

Personally I'd not wear lycra, not because I'm a fashion guru but because I always think the lycra wearers are trying a bit too hard. Maybe its because I'm just a commuter/ leisure rider?

dondare

Über Member
martint235 said:
You can get some lycra shorts, Nike certainly do them, where the padding at the front come up a little bit higher, thereby hiding all the "interesting bits"

Now that really would seem to be "trying a bit too hard".

dondare

Über Member
mark barker said:
Personally I'd not wear lycra, not because I'm a fashion guru but because I always think the lycra wearers are trying a bit too hard. Maybe its because I'm just a commuter/ leisure rider?

"Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."

400bhp

Guru
SBH said:
I don't think I'm being vacuous at all but thanks for the input.

Cycling clothing is no more utilitarian than a swimming costume but that doesn't mean I'm about to go and do a few lengths at the local sports centre in a g-string. Nor do I subscribe to the idea of displaying sausages in the vegetarian aisle should I pop into a shop on the way home just because you'd have me believe a "million other cyclists" have no awareness of what the rest of the world is looking at.

From the more sensible replies, I think the way forward is somewhere between steering clear of white and getting something which has slightly thicker material. I've got my eye on a nice white tri suit which has black patches in the "interesting" areas!

;)

Swimmers don't wear g-strings.

If you go to the baths you wear some kind of swimming apparel.

You have the approval of an internet forum if you get asked-bet that'll go down well.

JFDI

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
fossyant said:
The 'ribbing' doesn't stop.......ever....... when I commuted to my last job (construction), one or two of the women were rather keen to see me in my kit.... argh - both were my age and rather hot (one did loads of outdoor sports stuff) - but TBH...my kit has a purpose - I feel a total prat without a bike next to me - that hasn't stopped....I hate walking about in bike kit..... I won't go in a shop with it on etc...

haha, reminds me of the odd looks I got when I walked into spa sweating like mad wearing a tri suit ;) Been contemplating commuting in a tri suit just for laughs to see how many people give me odd looks riding through the city in a tri suit on my aero bars at about 15mph :biggrin:

Usually I commute wearing the clothing im going to wear the rest of the day, dark jeans or shorts and a smart-casual shirt.

Top Bottom