Lycra......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Ok, normally I wear jogging bottoms and a Altura Night vision jacket but I have bought some bib tights and a cycling top, now I am not exactly Johnny Vegas but neither am I skinny, my wife says I look ok but I really am worrying about that first walk through the office clad in the manner of a ballet dancer, I am the classic V shape apparently but as I said not skinny and I am concerned that the bib tights may be a little too much for the ladies of the office to cope with....

What do you lot wear and does Lycra insist on being impossibly svelte ?

You'll be ok mate just stick a banana down there.

Tynan

Veteran
You get used to it and then you like it, be bold and proud

Never ever be ashamed of your god given form

Easier if you get at least some firmness though, granted

thomas

the tank engine
J4CKO said:
Ok, normally I wear jogging bottoms and a Altura Night vision jacket but I have bought some bib tights and a cycling top, now I am not exactly Johnny Vegas but neither am I skinny, my wife says I look ok but I really am worrying about that first walk through the office clad in the manner of a ballet dancer, I am the classic V shape apparently but as I said not skinny and I am concerned that the bib tights may be a little too much for the ladies of the office to cope with....

What do you lot wear and does Lycra insist on being impossibly svelte ?

Well, I always said I would never wear them....but now I do :rolleyes:. I started the other year, so would of been around 16. They are honestly much more comfortable on a bike and worth any bit of stick you might get.

Yes, you look a bit silly, but every single Saturday I walk through the shop I work in, wearing them while pushing my bike to the bemusement of a few customers....other places I've worked I've worn them without a problem - the odd joke but what can you expect.

I would hardly say I have an amazing body - a bit of podge here and there :biggrin:...for the extra comfort and not have to have trouser which flap around it is definitely worth it!!

The odd person might look at you a bit weird, but you can just eye them up back and they'll quickly turn away embarrassed :smile:

I remember when I first wore lycra I used to wear shorts as well.Then i got used to it.Ironically I just wear shorts and no lycra now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't walk through the office....

My commute stuff is either MTB baggies or Ron Hill Bikesters - if I'm literally carrying my road bike then I'll be in my road kit.... - I've had 'you look very fit' in it...argh... it's not funny - I just need to ride !

The 'ribbing' doesn't stop.......ever....... when I commuted to my last job (construction), one or two of the women were rather keen to see me in my kit.... argh - both were my age and rather hot (one did loads of outdoor sports stuff) - but TBH...my kit has a purpose - I feel a total prat without a bike next to me - that hasn't stopped....I hate walking about in bike kit..... I won't go in a shop with it on etc...

I now work in a very public place, and have a walk before I get to my bike....hence MTB baggies (with proper shorts under) or bikesters...... My Road tights would frighten a few folk off, especially being nearly 40 with a stack of very young female trainee teachers/nurses.....

The good side is, the staff don't give a hoot (academics) about what I wear, as my day to day stuff is shirt/tie......but having worked in a Construction Company......argh......there are no prisoners.....

The staff where I work think I'm very brave etc..... where I did work, it was ...'He's a loon' but that's the environment I've worked in for a long time...

thomas

the tank engine
fossyant said:
Don't walk through the office....

I won't go in a shop with it on etc...

Pfft, who cares? I'd quite happily walk around in it...as long as I'm carrying my helmet to prove I cycled in :blush:...even then I don't mind that much as I don't know anyone (in town/shop) and don't really care what they think.

I have to walk through the shop (or the office in summer) in lycras as I've got no choice. I don't wear a proper "kit" though, just black lycras and some plain colours tops and usually a jacket - I don't look too obsessed with a sponsored strip kinda thing.

I think basically I find those shorts I bought from Hong Kong cheaper and easier to use anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bravo you.... thomas...

My commute kit is toned down - but out on the road bikes it's full kit..... tights, close fit top..carbon shoes.. etc......

And I'm a hardened roadie....been riding seriously since I was 16 - 23 years now !...Still not comfortable wafting through the office in full kit......

thomas

the tank engine
fossyant said:
Bravo you.... thomas...

My commute kit is toned down - but out on the road bikes it's full kit..... tights, close fit top..carbon shoes.. etc......

And I'm a hardened roadie....been riding seriously since I was 16 - 23 years now !...Still not comfortable wafting through the office in full kit......

I think your kit is probably makes you look a bit more into cycling than me...my cycling gear is the same no matter what I'm doing and I guess doesn't stand out amazingly.

Have a bloke at work,he must have been commuting at least two years and he is the dogs doodahs,has all the gear and a 2 and a half grand bike.He's also faster than me which I suspect isn't too hard.Looks like it would be easier to walk with ice skates across the concourse though.:blush:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I remember donning a new pair of bib-shorts (and nothing else) and was called a "pervert" and "Big Daddy". The comments were from my mother and girlfriend respectively...!

purplepolly

J4CKO said:
I am concerned that the bib tights may be a little too much for the ladies of the office to cope with....

You're a cyclist dear, on the road most people will regard with varying degrees of contempt/hatred/annoyance and your colleagues probably think you're a suicidal eccentric. And you're bothered about what you look like? :blush:

Top Bottom