'lympics disruption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
Apparently the policing is by TfL so will be a civil matter which is a good thing! I'll leave CopperCyclist to explain in depth since I've only just woken up!

perplexed

Guru
It's of no consolation at all I know, but I'm guessing the Olympics will make bugger-all difference to the traffic up here...

Except there may be a bit less of it due to people skiving...

Stonepark

Über Member
I think TFL should take a leaf out of Bejings book and have odd/even days for cars whilst the olympics is on, plenty room for the rest of us then.......

Norm

Proximity to the rowing lake means we can't park outside our own house for about 7 weeks. And the roads around my hometown were closed by the torch procession, as was my son's school, which was used to decamp from buses to running.

And I love it all.

The only downside, for me, is that they closed off my usual off-road route last Sept and aren't reopening until Nov of this year, which is a bit much for a 2 week event.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Proximity to the rowing lake means we can't park outside our own house for about 7 weeks. And the roads around my hometown were closed by the torch procession, as was my son's school, which was used to decamp from buses to running.

And I love it all.

The only downside, for me, is that they closed off my usual off-road route last Sept and aren't reopening until Nov of this year, which is a bit much for a 2 week event.
I thought you could park outside your home but displaying a special pass? Don't know the details but my parents were telling me about it.

As for for closing off the lake - apparently their retired neighbours had been in the habit of cycling around that area at 7 am each morning, and she isn't confident enough to cycle on the road.

stowie

Legendary Member
Not that I live in London but... I don't see it. A bike can go anywhere a car can go, and with the amount of bikes in London, control and regulation of Olympic Lanes in relation to bikes using them will be neigh on impossible.

Yes cyclist will be affected when roads are completely closed and barriered off as in the picture, but I bet you'll find that if a road is open to cars, bikes will be on it. They'll probably get so congested that it'll end up looking like some twisted version of an alleycat race too!

The issue for some routes is that Bus lanes are being opened to standard traffic because the standard lane is being designated "games lane". I think the outside lane of the Eastbound bow flyover is going to be a games lane where normally I can cycle taking the whole inside lane and traffic can pass on the outer lane. During the games cyclists using the flyover will either have traffic close passing them to overtake without impinging upon the "games lane" or, more likely, the cyclists trying to weave past stationary traffic whilst not entering the outside lane.

Also, a very major off-road cycle way - the Greenway - which, incidentally was completely upgraded around the stadium not so long ago, is shut near the park. The tow path (which I believe was also being upgraded) has also been shut which fractures an off-road cycle path going all the way down the lea valley and linking to Victoria Park. These closures seem to have been a "security" afterthought and one wonders how much priority was put into cycling infrastructure for the games. In actual fact I don't wonder, I am pretty certain.

Norm

I thought you could park outside your home but displaying a special pass? Don't know the details but my parents were telling me about it.

As for for closing off the lake - apparently their retired neighbours had been in the habit of cycling around that area at 7 am each morning, and she isn't confident enough to cycle on the road.
Nope, the notice on our road says no parking at all between, iirc, 7am and 5pm. The lake was open up to a few weeks ago but the Thames Path has been closed for 10 months already.

Why is it called the LONDON Olympics surely it's the british olympics,then again dosent the south always get the best of whatever is on offer!
Nope, the games are always named for the host city. Thus the Atlanta Games, the Sydney Games, the Seoul Games, Beijing, Athens, Moscow... etc.

subaqua

What’s the point
The issue for some routes is that Bus lanes are being opened to standard traffic because the standard lane is being designated "games lane". I think the outside lane of the Eastbound bow flyover is going to be a games lane where normally I can cycle taking the whole inside lane and traffic can pass on the outer lane. During the games cyclists using the flyover will either have traffic close passing them to overtake without impinging upon the "games lane" or, more likely, the cyclists trying to weave past stationary traffic whilst not entering the outside lane.

Also, a very major off-road cycle way - the Greenway - which, incidentally was completely upgraded around the stadium not so long ago, is shut near the park. The tow path (which I believe was also being upgraded) has also been shut which fractures an off-road cycle path going all the way down the lea valley and linking to Victoria Park. These closures seem to have been a "security" afterthought and one wonders how much priority was put into cycling infrastructure for the games. In actual fact I don't wonder, I am pretty certain.

Eastway is closed to traffic from lea interchange to Lea Conservancy Rd. so that means Homerton Rd is going to be mental, well more mental than normal. Byward Street from tower Hill to Lower Thames street has a games lane on the off side. i think i might be using that rather than risk using the normal lane.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Nope, the notice on our road says no parking at all between, iirc, 7am and 5pm. The lake was open up to a few weeks ago but the Thames Path has been closed for 10 months already.
As far as I know (could be completely incorrect), my parents have got some kind of pass for their car and 2 visitor passes for vehicles to park in the street - it's not on the actual route to the games, presumably they are worried about parking in the area? (Luckily they park off the road anyway).

subaqua

What’s the point
As far as I know (could be completely incorrect), my parents have got some kind of pass for their car and 2 visitor passes for vehicles to park in the street - it's not on the actual route to the games, presumably they are worried about parking in the area? (Luckily they park off the road anyway).

there is a olympic Controlled parking Zone in about a 5 mile radius from the park and venues. we are zone G01 the road next to us is G02 . you can park in your zone only !! they are free but visitor passes are limited , be careful you havent used your passes up for other things if you need your boiler fixed. apparently , although it could be obblox , supermarket home delivery vehicles will be ticketed if they park in a zone !!!

but hey lets embrace the games as its great. ( unles you live close to the park)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You mean visitor passes are one use only - hadn't twigged that. Still we often park on our neighbour's drive (with her permission - my mum helps to do lots of jobs she can't since she had a stroke), so hopefully we would be OK - unless her children were visiting her.

Top Bottom