'lympics disruption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reading that report makes me think there is something seriously wrong with the car drivers in this country.Rushing about too much?

The blog is a little misleading .... IIRC the black cab driver was actually found not to be at fault as the child cycle out of a junction into the cab.

Yes a sad death of a cyclist, but this time there must be some sympathy for the driver

Twanger

Über Member
The blog is a little misleading .... IIRC the black cab driver was actually found not to be at fault as the child cycle out of a junction into the cab.

Yes a sad death of a cyclist, but this time there must be some sympathy for the driver

Misleading is the word. I used the Park Lane crossing this week. It seemed to still be there. The road was resurfaced, though. maybe they didn't so much close it down as do it up.

subaqua

What’s the point
Really? I thought they didn't start until 2 days before the games.

ORN starts 25th July as do the Games Lanes. http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/documents/westminster-central-london-guide.pdf see Key dates section.

the Controlled parking Zones start 16th July . Riney have been changing the signs today by us, from ones saying starting 16th July to ones showing operation hours. another waste of money when one set of signs showing start date and times could have been used

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting

Fair enough,I know it isn't the drivers fault all the time.

Norm

I don't think the getaheadofthegames website is much use. You can only see travel problems from the 25/7, but the Mall's already been closed for a couple of weeks.
And parts of the Thames Path have been closed for 9 months. :sad:

stowie

Legendary Member
A local radio station said the M4 games lane will be in operation from the 16th ?
:confused

Ah, I think this is now operational to ferry games people to London. The lanes around me aren't active yet.

And yes, I think the website that details these changes isn't very good at all.

stowie

Legendary Member
It appears to me that the choices for a cyclist using a road with a games lane are

1) Try to filter on the left in the gutter
2) Try to filter right between the ordinary cars on the left and the cars in the games lane on the right
3) Ignore the restrictions on the games lanes and cycle in them anyway
4) Act like a car and wait in the inevitable queues on these roads
5) Avoid the main roads and use the side roads

1 + 2 just sound a bit dangerous. Option 2 is effectively splitting the lane which never seems a super option. Number 3 is probably safest but might be rewarded with a big fine. Number 4 seems utterly futile - if I am going to have to wait in traffic I might as well use the car. The last option seems the best, but these roads aren't great with rat-running in normal times, I doubt they will suddenly become magically bike friendly during the Olympics. And I hate side roads - they are slower, and I always manage to get lost.

Of course this assumes (quite reasonably) that the games roads will be gridlocked. If they aren't we will be subjected to the pleasure of cars trying to pass us without impinging on the games lanes.

Top Bottom