M25 Circuit Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A couple of people on the century-a-month thread expressed interest in my M25 circuit route, so here it is. Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this but here goes. If you can think of a better location, click the report button and a mod will move it if you ask nicely.
1649586367633.png

1649586392037.png

I've recently ridden this in two separate goes. I'm not sure my legs are up to doing it all in one right now, maybe later in the summer. It's 269km with 2,260m of climb (167 miles, 7,415 feet)

I've cut it into a north and south section, going anti-clockwise starting and finishing at the Thames so we have
North section Tilbury-Datchet via St Albans https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39026293?privacy_code=ymHVRozgEKvGnGbf
South section Datchet-Gravesend via Gatwick https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39026207?privacy_code=8C15JK941PAUAb8x
The whole thing https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39026347?privacy_code=g09J4B9YNSB7dgzz

These routes go anti-clockwise, but obviously you could go clockwise. All description assumes anticlockwise.

It's mostly on B roads, except for A road sections where necessary to link things together plus a couple of cycle path sections (Westhumble-Dorking and the Alban Way through St Albans).

The section in the West (about Gerrards Cross-West Byfleet, sort of 10 o'clock to 8 o'clock) has a lot of main roads and could probably use some improvement. I got some nasty close passes, but maybe that's just how it is in this area.

It's generally undulating with flat bits. In the North West it crosses a series of river valleys coming off the Chilterns, which makes for a series of short sharp climbs. The Surrey Hills are represented by the section between Bookham and Westhumble. This is a gentle climb going anticlockwise, but very steep going the other way. The one significant climb is Ide Hill in the South East. It's a bit of a slog but the reward is the splendid Ide Hill Cafe and Shop (and toilets) at the top.

One warning: The right and left turn on the A25 S of Dorking requires turning right on the pavement, then crossing the road separately. The junction is left turn only for traffic.

There are probably 20-30 train and tube stations along the route.

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
Looks a belting route that, thanks for sharing and putting all that helpful detail. I'll def be doing it this year and trying in one go, prob starting near St Albans/Hatfield.

If you did want to try it in one go and fancied some company, I'd happily get the train down to near you to start

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There’s also an Audax 300km permanent that does a London orbital. Following the successful calendar events in 2018 and 2019.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=7352
That was largely my inspiration. I worked on the Hildenborough control stamping cards in 2018. I've ridden all of the Eastern side of that route (although I think it changed quite a lot in 2019). I was going to attempt it in 2019 but as I recall the start was moved to the middle of nowhere and I think would have involved driving and/or camping or some such - or perhaps I'm getting it mixed up with something else.

The difference in approach is that the Audax is designed to be at least 300km long, whereas I was aiming to minimise distance (and climbing) so two slightly different approaches.

But if anyone's planning to do this it's advisable to plunder all sources of information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've searched RideWithGPS for routes related to the London Orbital Audax as mentioned by @Ming the Merciless . Certainly worth reviewing for route sections, or indeed the whole thing if your legs are up to it.

LOA2018 311 km / 2,550 m (193 mi / 8,366 ft)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28232660
This is the route of the 2018 calendar edition (by the organiser)

London Orbital2019 318 km / 2,914 m (198 mi / 8,560 ft)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30525891
Description is "London Orbital Audax 300km Perm" so I'm assuming this is the perm route.

By the way, the easiest way to make my route shorter (by about 15 km / 9 mi) flatter (by about 60m / 200ft ) would be to short cut from Dorking to Sevenoaks along the A25 via Reigate and Westerham. This would be quite a horrible ride though, and would miss out on some lovely countryside in the Horley/Edenbridge area. The A25 isn't an impossible road for cycling - I often ride it for sections of 10-15 minutes or so - but it's really not very nice at all and riding it for about 35km/ 20 miles ish would be a bit much. If you're a confident cyclist who doesn't mind the odd close pass and your only aim is to circuit the M25 you could consider it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For every possible start-point of this ride, there must be a nicer 269km ride available.
Each to his own I guess ...
I'd actually question that. In fact, I'd go further and say that it's just plain wrong. The vast majority of the riding is very pleasant. There's about 15-20km of this route that isn't great, and that's in the Slough area. Even that's OK-ish. The rest is on lanes that are as good as any in the South East and there's a big variety of different landscapes.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That was largely my inspiration. I worked on the Hildenborough control stamping cards in 2018. I've ridden all of the Eastern side of that route (although I think it changed quite a lot in 2019). I was going to attempt it in 2019 but as I recall the start was moved to the middle of nowhere

We would have met then, as I rode the event in 2018. In 2019 I helped at the Flaunden Control, which was around 220km into the event that year.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'd actually question that. In fact, I'd go further and say that it's just plain wrong. The vast majority of the riding is very pleasant. There's about 15-20km of this route that isn't great, and that's in the Slough area. Even that's OK-ish. The rest is on lanes that are as good as any in the South East and there's a big variety of different landscapes.

I think it all depends on timings. For the 2018 event the start was Chalfont St Peter. The start was 6am from memory and by the time any traffic turned up you were past Windsor great park and in quiet lanes. Then the return almost drops you back into Chalfont straight out of the lanes.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We would have met then, as I rode the event in 2018. In 2019 I helped at the Flaunden Control, which was around 220km into the event that year.
It's come back to me now. I was planning to attempt it in 2019, but the start was moved to somewhere without a nearby rail connection. If I drove there, then I'd be unable to bail out as my car would be stranded. And if I didn't bail out I'd need somewhere to sleep before I was safe to drive home. As there was a reasonable chance that I wouldn't make it round this made it impractical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom