M370 Altus rear der' - are they all just really sloppy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a couple of these (new condition) in a box for years as spares. Fitted one yesterday to a bike and the build seemed to be reeeeeally sloppy.
I've had a million shimano derailleurs in 8sp land e.g. Deore XT on main bike, Sora on the commuter. And i was removing an RD4601 (Tiagara) from the bike in question: these all seem much tighter than the M370s (despite the Tiagra being worn out, IMO!). Also had 105, but that was at least 10 years ago, gawd knows the spec or model ...

Is this just how they're made? What is the first step up to gain decent build (and presumably crisp shifting)? Sora? Alivio? Higher??

Sloppy in what way? I personally rate the older Altus/Alivio stuff, M310 and 410 for example. And I've been using an even-older-than-that Altus for 9-speed work!

Jameshow

Veteran
Are you sure it's genuine? I brought one and definitely thought it wasn't up to Shimano quantity. My thoughts were was it genuine?

Wiggle are selling Sora for £10 which is a steal and much better made!

Or get a good second hand XT mt750

You know how pivots (bushings etc) wear e.g. you can waggle the mech around more without any movement at the cable side? It happens to all mechs given enough time, rain, dirt etc ...

That way!

Are you sure it's genuine? I brought one and definitely thought it wasn't up to Shimano quantity. My thoughts were was it genuine?

Wiggle are selling Sora for £10 which is a steal and much better made!

Or get a good second hand XT mt750
Then maybe James is right, they're dodgy ones. How old? One of the things that might be a giveaway is that the cable securing nut should be a 5mm hex bolt. I've seen, on Ebay, mechs that should have this, yet have the older 9mm nut fixing instead. Just a quick check on ebay shows a weath of fakes of this mech, with titles like 'for Shimano' etc. These did have the correct nut...

I personally rate the older Altus/Alivio stuff, M310 and 410 for example

<Googles M310> ... that looks a very different design to the M370 e.g. has a lot more teeth on they jockey wheel.

1661852272389.png

Well, I hadn't considered fakes! But I had considered a "bad batch" ... and now fakes seem more likely. 👍
Thanks folks. Sora ordered from Wiggle :smile: If that is what I hope, I may buy three more!

(I will try the sh1te one on my friction-shift commuter, but without much expectation.)

Anyone want to buy a mint condition 9sp derailleur??

Petrichorwheels

Well, I hadn't considered fakes! But I had considered a "bad batch" ... and now fakes seem more likely. 👍
Thanks folks. Sora ordered from Wiggle :smile: If that is what I hope, I may buy three more!

(I will try the sh1te one on my friction-shift commuter, but without much expectation.)

Anyone want to buy a mint condition 9sp derailleur??

don't know if yours is a fake but you do see a lot of things on the bay which use the term "shimano" - a closer look reveals that many are "compatible" with shimano - ie not actually made by them. And thus worthless.

Top Bottom