M6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Can someone enlightened me as to what is going on the M6 north of Birmingham? 50mph for miles with 3 clear lanes and it seems to have been there for possibly 2 years! Never see any work going on either. It is a real pain and I am glad I don't go that way very often .Feel sorry for commuters though.

Extensive stretches are being converted to managed motorway. This means the installation of overhead gantries, cameras etc. It does work.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

My theory is that they don't know how to built motorways in this country, compared to the continent, that's why there are so many roadworks everywhere. My have a dual carriageway called the A55 in North Wales. It is the main artery coming from off the M56 all the way to Holyhead. They can't leave the bloody thing alone! They are always doing something to it with the resulting chaos for motorists.I have now retired from being a driving instructor and am glad I don't need to use the A55 for my work anymore.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

The real problem is that people don't know how to drive on motorways in this country
Yeah, all hugging the middle lane. Very frustrating.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Attempting to get back home from my deliveries late evening / early morning is often a challenge .
Road closures everywhere!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Indeed so so,when we have the gentries over the road, how about lane hogging cameras? Sit with an empty lane inside you for two or more consecutive gantries and get a letter in the post?

Those motorway structures sound posh!

It is indeed managed motorways. They have been doing them for ages. Once they complete one section they move up the road to start the next. I'm not sure what's going on at J9 at the moment. That was a section they had finished, was all open for a bit and then it closed again. That's the chaos causer!

Not sure I agree about the middle lane business. The inside lane is usually full of lorries doing their regulated 60mph or so. That also tends to be the most worn carriageway. With the best will in the world it is sometimes hard to change lanes when they are all full! It seems to me that the managed motorways are effective because they turn the motorway into streams of traffic travelling at almost exactly the same speed. Often the problems on an otherwise unobstructed motorway are caused by a car suddenly changing lanes - quite often for an imagined minuscule advantage - which has a knock-on effect behind and eventually leads to pulsing and a standstill for no real reason. Indeed, when the "managed" thing is functioning there is often a sign saying "stay in lane".
Like much of our road system in our overcrowded island, motorways are effectively a 60 or 70 mph traffic jam. Or a 10mph traffic jam if you are in London. Driving a car is a miserable frustrating business most of the time and does not accord with the visions of freedom and power featured in the car adverts. This might explain the appeal of cycling for us, and possibly the enviousness the car-trapped feel when they see our freedom.

Thus wishing to shorten the misery of being stuck inside a car. Interesting point. The balance between competition and collaboration is key in a successful civilisation, is it not?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have lived by junction 10 all my life, and had to use it all my working life. Its ok outside the peak times of 5am to 8pm. Inside those times its gonna be jammed.

Top Bottom