mac book - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I can get you a brand new Fujitsu Siemens laptop for £330 plus post, with a 17'' screen! Let me know if you want the full spec. Big laptop but the screen is nice.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
that would mean acquiring the software that i need to go on it, something i can't be bothered to do since i've already got a set of disks with some licenses sitting about for the mac

Mr Pig

I alsa my be able to get some cheap Mac software. Not copies or knock off, genuine stuff from a shop that's closing down. I'll post details once I know them.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've haggled her down to £250
its a 12inch powerbook G4
powerpc G4 1.5GHz
512MB memory

as far as i can see, it'll just need a bit more memory if nothing else. the software i've got will go straight on and run happily

twowheelsgood

Sorry but 300 quid even 250 is nuts for a 3 year old notebook.

Look what's happened in that time

Apple have gone to intel - core 2 is about 60% more efficient per cycle
Processor speeds have doubled
The number of cores have double
The latest Macs have a fairly reasonable integrated graphics
Hard drives - the slowest component are much, much faster these days - 3 year old notebook drives are a joke by todays standards.

Realistically the machine is barely as fast as a basic netbook you can buy from Tesco for 150 new.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If I really, really wanted Apple, I'd rather put the 300 down on a new Macbook and pay the balance monthly.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if the laptop does what's required, who cares that newer things are faster etc if they cost more. as the op specified he needed a mac to go with existing software, a cheap laptop from tescos, spec regardless, is not going to fit the bill.

macs hold their value better as s/h purchases, not just because of the 'cool' factor, but also the fact that the build quality is better than many of the cheaper computers you can buy.

twowheelsgood

I would certainly buy any vintage of Intel Mac, but really, this is a total dead end.

If portability is not a factor and cost is, then a secondhand Intel Mac mini would surely be a much better buy?

Dual CPU and still supported by Apple for at least a few more years.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
twowheelsgood said:
I would certainly buy any vintage of Intel Mac, but really, this is a total dead end.

If portability is not a factor and cost is, then a secondhand Intel Mac mini would surely be a much better buy?

not a bad idea, if monitor, keyboard and mouse are already to hand.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
twowheelsgood said:

the OP also stated he has a two year old iMac dual screen sat on his desk but wants to be able to take the laptop into uni with him on a morning

Top Bottom