Macinato - New Build Pics + Chainline Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The rear chainline is wrong. The centre of the chain should be 18mm from the right dropout for a 120mm hub, that looks MUCH more than 18mm (which is ~2x chain width depending on chain). Need to re-examine how that cog is attached to the hub.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Nice bike. Apart from the tyres. If the Lord had meant us to have anything other than black tyres then he'd have something'd or another. Probably.

^_^

My first ever none-black tyres. Except some 'butterscotch' something or other that a '96 Proflex Beast came shod with. They were removed after one ride as they had about as much grip as, well, butterscotch.

I quite like the red. I think. You have no idea how long my finger hovered over the 'buy' button before I made the decision to go red rather than black!:smile:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
The rear chainline is wrong. The centre of the chain should be 18mm from the right dropout for a 120mm hub, that looks MUCH more than 18mm (which is ~2x chain width depending on chain). Need to re-examine how that cog is attached to the hub.

It's as near as damn it 18mm:

fctuo8.jpg

Sergeant Pluck

Über Member
I don’t think there is anything wrong at the back. In any case, chain line refers to the distance from the midline of the bike to the centre of the chainring, in the case of single speeds, or the sprocket depending which end you are interested in. The distance from the chain to the dropout is not the measurement to go on (in other words, bikes with the same chainline can have different distances from sprocket to dropout depending on design and set-up).

In your case, the rear chainline is (120/2) - 18 = 42 mm.

If the VP BB is indeed 103 mm and JIS then it should work. So either the wrong BB is in there, or as mentioned above the chainset hasn’t been torqued up properly. I suspect the latter.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
To conclude this thread:

I am absolutely certain that everything's fitted and torqued up correctly so I can only assume that the BB axle is too long or the tapers on the chainset or BB are not to spec (or a combination of 2 or 3 of these).

Other than an acknowledgement of my email there's been no reply from On-One. I'm disappointed with this. One of the reasons I'm an On-One fan is the fact that I've always had excellent service from them in the past. It's not that many years ago that Brant Richards would have been all over any thread about his bikes like the proverbial rash! Just to stress though, I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with anything On-One have supplied.

Yould could buy a plain black alloy bashguard, I use the ones from SJS, and then use normal chainring bolts for a double placing the chainring on the inside and bashguard on the outside. Keeps the aesthetics the same and also gives a little protection from oil etc.

If you look on my galleries you'll be able to see one fitted.

Thanks again for this post. I moved the chainring to the inner position and fitted a bashguard:

23iihdu.jpg

And the chainline is now pretty much spot on:

szey45.jpg

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
bin the goofy trouser guard, that wouldn't even look good on my brompton.

No. Shan't:tongue:

Just been on the On-One website to look at chainsets and am now really pi**ed off because frame and fork are on offer at £140, which is £60 less than I paid a few weeks ago:rolleyes:

I may make it look as goofy as possible in protest! I'm thinking handlebar streamers, wicker basket, multi-coloured chain...^_^

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Sorry to poke my oar in at this late stage, but the spacing looks very wide between the rear dropouts, more like 130mm with an awful lot of clutter bolted on, could be wrong, I frequently am :wacko:

Feel free, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want comments! However, you are indeed wrong on this occasion^_^ I've just gone and re-measured it (you had me worried there!) and it's definitely 120mm. The wheels are standard, the only slight oddity is the 'taper-lock' bits - on the outside of the dropouts.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Just goes to prove your picture taking is far superior to mine! I do echo what most have said though, when the cash is available treat the bike to a new chanset, and get some drops on it :ph34r:.

I may look at a new chainset in due course, but I've spent more than I intended on the bike already. However, I do have a pair of what I think of as old (late 90's) Mavic Cross Max wheels in the garage that I keep thinking about ebaying. I think they're probably now considered 'retro' so they should fetch enough to cover a chainset^_^ Hmm...

As I mentioned in the OP, the original bars were slightly bent, so they've been binned and replaced with some cheap flat bars and I've fitted some old Cane-Creek Ergo bar ends. Which probably make the bike look even goofier, but I find them very comfortable. I will have a play with a high-rise stem and drops at some point in the future. Just not yet!

Top Bottom