Macinato - New Build Pics + Chainline Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Not long back from my first ride on this:

nuw4z.jpg

206d62s.jpg

My initial reaction is that I like it a lot:smile: I ride mainly singlespeed but I've not ridden fixed for years and didn't really get on with it when I did. With the benefit of hindsight it may well have been the bike / set-up I had. No problems on the first ride on this bike, in fact after a few miles I forgot was on a new bike and just enjoyed the ride - always a good sign I think

I've been umming and ahing about different bars, but decided to stick to what I'm used to until I get properly used to riding fixed. Turns out the bars I've fitted are slightly bent anyway, so I'll be off to the garage shortly to decide what to do!

I *may* increase the gearing slightly (currently 44/16), but will get a few miles in before I decide.

The only niggle is the chainline:

de1cgo.jpg

vpc3s0.jpg

The chainring is about 5-10mm further out than the rear cog. Hub is a 120mm OLN On-One, cog is an old one dug out of my spare parts box, chainset is a Lasco and BB is a VP 103mm axle. It works, but I'd like it to be straighter! Any ideas?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
deeper cog? ask on-one?

pretty bike by the way.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
deeper cog? ask on-one?

pretty bike by the way.

Ta. I'd assumed all fixed cogs were about the same depth? Any deeper and I don't think the lock-ring would go on? I'm being a bit cagey because I have an idea what the problem may be, but I want to see if anyone suggests it independently!

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
No, it's possible I suppose, but I've had a number of On-Ones over the years and never had any problems, so I doubt it's that. Don't want to make a big deal of it, but I'll not post my thoughts just yet, will wait a while to see any other comments.

(Don't hold your breath, it's not anything very exciting!)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Looks like there is A LOT of chainstay clearance. Assuming there is nothing funny about frame or hub, the first thing I'd look at would be whether the BB spindle actually measures the stated (and recommended) 103mm ? If so - start measuring the actual chainline as accurately as possible front and back and see how it compares to the nominal 42 mm for that chainset ?

D

Deleted member 1258

Nice looking bike, on the chain line it might be enough to just put the chainring on the inside of the spider instead of the outside, on my Pearson I've got a bb with a 107 spindle when the chainset requires a 103 spindle, I've been running with the chainring on the inside of the spider for about eighteen months now, depending on chainstay clearance I might fit a BB with a 103 spindle when the BB wears out.

colly

Re member eR
Very nice ! :thumbsup: Is it steel ?

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Nice looking bike, on the chain line it might be enough to just put the chainring on the inside of the spider instead of the outside, on my Pearson I've got a bb with a 107 spindle when the chainset requires a 103 spindle, I've been running with the chainring on the inside of the spider for about eighteen months now, depending on chainstay clearance I might fit a BB with a 103 spindle when the BB wears out.

Yes, I think you're right, but the silver spider would be on the outside of the black chainring:eek:! It may come to that though.

I've emailed On-One to see what they say, but my guess is that most of the problem is with the cheap chainset and BB. This quote is from http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopcrank.html:

"The manufacturers approximate chainline is 42mm with a 103mm BB (please note though that in practise chainline will be an approximation due to variables in BB shells and crank and BB spindle tapers etc so it should only be seen as a guide especially with budget chainsets)."

The chainset is new, but was bought from a private individual on ebay who said he'd bought it and then decided to use something else. My guess is that he fitted it, realised it wasn't quite right from a chainline point of view and decided to sell it on.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
shim out the sprocket, costs pennies. try and see if the drive side crank will pull onto the taper a bit more. but personally i'd change the chainset to a stronglight one from on-one c/w bb of 107mm. i've built 2 on-one's and that's the chain line that worked for me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yould could buy a plain black alloy bashguard, I use the ones from SJS, and then use normal chainring bolts for a double placing the chainring on the inside and bashguard on the outside. Keeps the aesthetics the same and also gives a little protection from oil etc.

If you look on my galleries you'll be able to see one fitted.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I think you're right, but the silver spider would be on the outside of the black chainring:eek:! It may come to that though.
Theres nothing wrong with having a silver spider on the outside of a black chainring, mines like that.

Top Bottom