New commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
IMG_20230708_145848894_HDR.jpg

Just unboxed. Wanted to replace my Singlecross which I've used every winter / shoot weather day since 2009. Wasn't sure quite what I wanted- another fixed? SS? hub gear? got this one mainly for the frame- has potential for a lot of different configurations. I don't need all those mounting points though!

The front wheel will be replaced as soon as I get a hub dynamo wheel made. The current front wheel I'll put my Schwalbe snow stud tyre on. Probably the rear wheel will get an upgrade quite soon. Pedals, mudguards and bar end mirror to buy and fit. No idea what the tyres are like, maybe those will be changed pretty quickly- currently almost never puncture (Marathons with slime tube at rear)

Haven't even ridden it yet!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Been out for a short ride with some Allen keys in my pocket, got it roughly set up. As it is it's acceptable, but the intention is to change stuff until it's how I like it- starting with lighting.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Took the old hub dynamo (5 year old SP rim brake type) off the Singlecross, thought I'd use it on my Surly. My god! it was so rough and I hadn't even noticed- just figured it was my legs I suppose. Probably going to choose a more serviceable hub for the new bike.

First commute on the Genesis went well. Had to get the Allen key out a couple of times (seat wasn't quite right)

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
farking disc brakes! finally stopped the front one rubbing. Robbed pedals off the old 'cross bike for now.
Pleased you’ve sorted the rubbing discs . I don’t want your squealing brakes waking me up in the morning. :laugh:

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mudguards! (from Northwood Cycle Depot- since my LBS closed down I've been trying others, this is the first time I've been to this shop- three stops along the Metropolitan Line). A bit of bending and cable-tying to get the stays around the front disc brake.

Front light fitted, but not connected because I'm waiting for my wheel. Trying a Kasai FS-FK5D dynamo, I've had two SP hubs recently but I don't like that they aren't user serviceable (they are for a small number of users! not for me).

I've heard the freewheel on these bikes isn't great so I've got a replacement on order.

Got to tweak something somewhere because it's gone out of focus.

IMG_20230801_161051859_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Got my wheel with the Kasai dynamo delivered this week from SPA cycles- now fitted and working. Got a locking non-QR skewer for it. Put on my preferred saddle- the saddle fitted was a bit 'grippy'. Might add a mudguard fit rear light later but it's ready for winter now.

Of course the brake was rubbing again when I fitted the new wheel. I find- with these particular mechanical discs anyway- that the trick of loosening the calliper assembly, applying the brake and re-tightening doesn't work. It's better to align it by eye.

Put my Snow Stud tyre on the old wheel, just need to fit a disc to it. Looks like the tyre will fit under the mudguard but haven't tested it yet.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Your talk about being ready for winter has got thinking about what I will be using , but one thing's for sure it will be a lot older than yours

I considered converting my old 'cross bike into a winter bike (it's not very old, but it's old enough to have a 1" steerer) but I would've had to attach the rear mudguards with P-clips and buy a 1" fork with canti bosses and mudguard eyes.

Top Bottom