Mad Bus Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So there I was in the city center down town today with the OH and I see this bus coming round the corner with the fuel cap off and fuel spewing out all over the road and no one has told the driver so I take a walk to the end of the road to get the driver at his stop to tell him about the problem.

When I get there I see the driver of the bus in his cabin smoking a cigarette and tell him about his fuel cap he looks at me without saying a word jumps out the bus and sticks his head right in the fuel tank inlet still smoking !

So I shout here mate you better get that fag out your mouth or you will blow your self and me up and I get no reply from him ...what a idiot! then his workmate comes running over and tells me he is polish and does not understand.... what he doesn't understand if he puts his head in a fuel tank with a lit fag he may blow him self up? lol you don't need to speak and understand English to understand that :thumbsup:

So with that I left as fast as I could, it amazes me that some people out there manage to do such silly things and live to the next day :thumbsup:

If I see him again I wont be getting on his bus!

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm convinced that some regular smokers don't always realise they have a cigarette in thier mouths some of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes but saying it doesn't ignite as readily as petrol doesn't mean it's safe.

Petrol vapour is lethal and can ignite from a considerable distance. So I wouldn't trust diesel at close range.

domd1979

Veteran
As Yorkshireman says, diesel doesn't ignite that easily and is nowhere near as volatile as petrol. A driver smoking on his bus is illegal though - both because of smoking ban in public places, and was illegal before that for a driver to smoke on a PSV in service anyway.

asterix said:
Yes but saying it doesn't ignite as readily as petrol doesn't mean it's safe.

Petrol vapour is lethal and can ignite from a considerable distance. So I wouldn't trust diesel at close range.

I was pointing out (in a rather roundabout way :thumbsup:) that diesel is a greater hazard when spilt on the road. I have seen glowing cigarette ends thrown into buckets of diesel many times - they are doused by the liquid, the vapour needs to be either heated or under pressure to ignite readily.

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes I agree about roundabouts;)

However, years ago we had a diesel stove on a boat and it certainly burned diesel somehow. Red hot in places. Can't remember how it was lit tho'.

I've had some experience with various cooking/heating 'appliances' using diesel, TVO, paraffin etc over the years, and they seem to come in two main types - Drip feed and pressure feed ... They all smell (and get sooty) if not maintained regularly :thumbsup:

Top Bottom