Mad mad MAD!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
man that's crazy

Molecule Man

This one is new to me, looks nasty. I'm sure I've ridden along bits of the A38 (edit, but only on weekends), and I don't remember it being too bad, but it's a different matter if possibly less confident cyclists are being encouraged to put themselves into situations like that without fair warning.

I lived in Exeter from 1999 to 2003 and then they had some cycle paths and lanes that were absolutely corkers, e.g. on-road cycle lanes that go up and down ramps for no good reason. I almost came a cropper on one of these as I was riding just inside the lane marker and ended up riding along the edge of the kerb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Somebody needs shooting for that. How on earth did anybody in a council planning department approve that as safe???? How do the Police view it????

Unfortunately, anybody who knows Exeter well (my home town) will be familiar with the post-war phrase "what the German's couldn't destroy, the Council finished-off" Theyre still doing it today to the town Centre...destroying the good bits to re-create Basingstoke.

But that cycle path really beggars belief. Either it won't get used or it does and somebody get's killed then which designer/rubber stamper/madman is gonna tell the family of the desceased?

Total shite, i really can't believe people who create these things get paid.

Maz

Guru
Why is he going the wrong way?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I think it was because he followed the signs, which are obviously as appallingly bad as the path and lead cyclists onto a route going the wrong way (unless the path is two-way but built onto the side of that road so your return is against the flow ?).

Here's what the comment about the video says:

When cyclepaths go bad.
The much-heralded opening of Haldon Forest, near Exeter, with its miles of cycle routes for all the family, also had a cycle route to the city of Exeter itself. It turned out to be a less scenic route. And the first time this cyclist followed the signs home he had his four-year-old daughter on the back. Before he knew it he was going the wrong way down the A38.​

domtyler

Über Member
I can't see the problem myself. I often cycle on fast A roads, in fact most time trials are held on roads like this.

Top Bottom