1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad mad MAD!!!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 21 Apr 2008.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I've just came across this youtube video (not mine) of a cyclepath near Exeter!

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x2t1qae6TnI

Absolute madness! Look at the gap that is left for the bike and the speed of the oncoming traffic!:smile::eek::eek::ohmy::eek:

Does anyone on here use this cyclepath? Who designed this? Who thought it would be a good idea?!?!!

2. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

man that's crazy

3. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

What a total loon...

4. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

It's like cycling on the hard shoulder. Unbelievable.

5. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

I know who is responsible for Exeter bike paths as it happens.

6. Molecule Man

Molecule Man Well-Known Member

This one is new to me, looks nasty. I'm sure I've ridden along bits of the A38 (edit, but only on weekends), and I don't remember it being too bad, but it's a different matter if possibly less confident cyclists are being encouraged to put themselves into situations like that without fair warning.

I lived in Exeter from 1999 to 2003 and then they had some cycle paths and lanes that were absolutely corkers, e.g. on-road cycle lanes that go up and down ramps for no good reason. I almost came a cropper on one of these as I was riding just inside the lane marker and ended up riding along the edge of the kerb.

7. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Somebody needs shooting for that. How on earth did anybody in a council planning department approve that as safe???? How do the Police view it????

Unfortunately, anybody who knows Exeter well (my home town) will be familiar with the post-war phrase "what the German's couldn't destroy, the Council finished-off" Theyre still doing it today to the town Centre...destroying the good bits to re-create Basingstoke.

But that cycle path really beggars belief. Either it won't get used or it does and somebody get's killed then which designer/rubber stamper/madman is gonna tell the family of the desceased?

Total shite, i really can't believe people who create these things get paid.

8. Maz

Maz Guru

Why is he going the wrong way?

9. atbman

atbman Veteran

Pretty grim path, but why was he riding the wrong way?

10. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

My thoughts too.

11. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I think it was because he followed the signs, which are obviously as appallingly bad as the path and lead cyclists onto a route going the wrong way (unless the path is two-way but built onto the side of that road so your return is against the flow ?).

Here's what the comment about the video says:

When cyclepaths go bad.
    The much-heralded opening of Haldon Forest, near Exeter, with its miles of cycle routes for all the family, also had a cycle route to the city of Exeter itself. It turned out to be a less scenic route. And the first time this cyclist followed the signs home he had his four-year-old daughter on the back. Before he knew it he was going the wrong way down the A38.​

12. Plax

Plax Veteran

13. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Jings, Plax - that looks utterly horrendous. Rather you than me...

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I can't see the problem myself. I often cycle on fast A roads, in fact most time trials are held on roads like this.