Mad mad MAD!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
I can't see the problem myself. I often cycle on fast A roads, in fact most time trials are held on roads like this.
Against the flow of the traffic?

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't think going against the flow of traffic is a problem really, in fact designated contraflow routes can provide excellent short cuts for cyclists.

dondare

Über Member
mickle said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

I know who is responsible for Exeter bike paths as it happens.

Show them a bike, explain to them what it's for and how it works. Teach them to ride one, then invite them to use the path that they've designed.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
He is going the wrong way, if you look at the bike symbol on the path it is for people coming the other way (probably for reassurance that they are indeed on a cycle path).

No idea what the signage is like which would have sent him that way though...

Looks pretty crap all in all.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bad enough he ended-up going the wrong way, but the thought that a dual-carriegeway hard shoulder is a good idea to encourage cyclists quite passes me by.
What do they tell you to do if you break-down or similar on Motorway/D-C and pull over to the hard shoulder? Get away from the car to somewhere safe... . So, it's unsafe to sit in your car on a hard shoulder, but OK to cycle on one (It's arguably safer to go against the traffic flow...much like walking along a road without a footpath).
Madness.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It certainly does look (from the bike symbols and the flow of traffic) that he is going the wrong way. However, without anyone with local knowledge suggesting otherwise we have to assume that he was directed there by some signs.

Even going with the flow the path in places is far too narrow, with high speed traffic (some very large) passing within a couple of feet of the cyclist. When he passes under the bridge and the lorries passes at the same time my heart stopped!

Is there no-one else on here that has cycled this route? Maybe someone local should go and take a look, a very careful look of course!!

Tynan

Veteran
peds are told to walk facing the traffic to make them more visible

and car takes up a lot mor width on a hard shoulder than a bike

it does look lary but there's a fair old margin, I'd worry more about the crap hard shoulders always seem to be strewn with

MERV

He is going the wrong way, if you look at the bike symbol on the path it is for people coming the other way (probably for reassurance that they are indeed on a cycle path).

Im surprised the cars didn't toot him for going the wrong way.

Plod to pull him up?

medals

So the the planners of this route are happy to allow cyclists to ride within feet of traffic moving at 70 mph plus?
'Cos as the road's a dual carraigeway, that's what they can do.
Beggars belief.

Top Bottom