Mad mad MAD!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
What do they tell you to do if you break-down or similar on Motorway/D-C and pull over to the hard shoulder? Get away from the car to somewhere safe...
There are some stretches of the M42 in Brum where the hard shoulder is used for normal traffic. I'm amazed no car has broken down on it, only to be ploughed into by a car driving along it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MERV said:
Im surprised the cars didn't toot him for going the wrong way.

If you listen they do on several occasions...

handsome joe

I can't believe this guy took his child along this path. My Brother lives just outside Exeter and passed this path in his car a few times. Suddenly coming against an on-coming bicycle can be fairly distracting. You don't expect to see a Bicycle heading towards you at 70mph. He has reported this link to Exeter City Council and the Transport Department so they can see with their own eyes. Accident waiting to happen?

I'll keep you updated on what reply he gets.

Trillian

he's just followed the signposts,

theres one like that in coventry along the A45, going back and looking at it i was meant to turn round, cross the A45 and follow it to get where i was going, however that would have taken me the wrong way for the city centre, someone hadn't put the signs up correctly,

there was a cycle lane down the A45, and at about 20mph i was merged into oncoming traffic of a slip road.

i must have called the council every name under the sun as i turned back and rode back up the hill.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MERV said:
Im surprised the cars didn't toot him for going the wrong way.
That looked pretty horrendous!

At least going against the traffic you'd have a slight chance of diving off to your right if you saw that you were about to be mowed down. I can't see that it would make much difference to your survival chances if you were splatted at a closing speed of 85 mph rather than 55 mph, you probably wouldn't survive either way.

The traffic isn't supposed to venture onto the cycle path so it shouldn't matter to the drivers which way cyclists are travelling.

Maz said:
There are some stretches of the M42 in Brum where the hard shoulder is used for normal traffic. I'm amazed no car has broken down on it, only to be ploughed into by a car driving along it.

It seems to work pretty well, so far. Although I don't like the idea in principle and I sincerely hope I never have to pull a loaded artic out of the breakdown laybys into a stream of 70mph+ traffic.

Top Bottom