Madness I tell you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The word "nick" is more appropriate.

midlife

Guru
There's one of them in one of our local LBS's window.....now I know what it is :smile:. No price tag on it lol

chriscross1966

Über Member
I've just bought a Nickel.... as I had a spare set of titanium extremities kicking around I didn't order the X, but as well as putting them ojn I've swapped out the crankset (Campagnolo Chorus Carbon UT) bars (Nitto bullhorns), saddle (BROOKS b15) controls (Vision TT) rear wheel (now 5-speed) and I'm going to make the carriers over the weekend so I can run 80:21 gearing for that mad motorpacing look... selling the spare bits on ebay if anyone wants them...

chriscross1966

Über Member
I've just bought a Nickel.... as I had a spare set of titanium extremities kicking around I didn't order the X, but as well as putting them ojn I've swapped out the crankset (Campagnolo Chorus Carbon UT) bars (Nitto bullhorns), saddle (BROOKS b15) controls (Vision TT) rear wheel (now 5-speed) and I'm going to make the carriers over the weekend so I can run 80:21 gearing for that mad motorpacing look... selling the spare bits on ebay if anyone wants them...

Her name is Persephone, for she is both dark and shiny

midlife

Guru
If that was Warlands then that was mine, she turned up while I was away... You saw her before the modding started..

Bike shop in Penrith :smile:

chriscross1966

Über Member
Which is why I'm putting a 5-speed in there... I might swap it out for the 8-speed in my T8.... but that's a 32-spoke unit in a CR rim and I think I'd ratehr stick with the stock Black Edition rim....
Saving up for a pair of Andoza Hawk B1's though.... and a set of Vostok extremities .... and full disks..... and probably another Alfine 11-speed hub to match what my H11 has.... argh, the shiny bits are soooo expensive, and utterly addictive....

chriscross1966

Über Member
Bike shop in Penrith :smile:

Ahh... they only make 400 Nickels a year, the order book opens in April and generally is filled in a few weeks, so I suspect it was one they'd ordered for a customer and were waiting for them to pick up.... I know Warlands had mine up on display (it turned up while I was away for three weeks...). With the amount of interest it generated they're thinking of ordering one on spec next year, probably in S6 spec...

simon.r

Person
Who'd be daft enough to fork out that sort of money for a shiny Brompton:whistle::hello:

IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG

But ain't she pretty:wub:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
ooo, I do like that a lot.

My gripe with bromptons is the, to my mind, daft gearing set up. If only the rear triangle was wide enough for sensible Shimano affline hub gears (or even Roloff), or alternatively a 9 speed freehub. The 2 x 3 arragement, whilst it does work, is a bit pants really and the plastic derailleur mech is plain nasty.

simon.r

Person
You'd think SJS would wipe the fingerprints off before taking the photo.

Or it could just be demonstrating Brompton's blurb that "Minor variations to the finish appear on each bike, ensuring that the final look is incredibly unique".

Which I interpret as "We tried really hard to get a smooth, consistent finish, but we couldn't so let's get our marketing people onto it..."

Last edited:
Top Bottom