Maffetone Method.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
So, after a suggestion on here i've decided to give the above a go.
I've just completed the recommended "2 week carbohydrate intolerance test", where you completely stop eating any carbs for 2 weeks, then slowly re-introduce them, to find which ones cause you any grief. The ones that bother you in anyway, you know to steer clear of in future.
The first week was very tough, felt quite weak, but the second week, i've never had so much energy. It seems a shame to start eating carbs again. But it is only a test, and not a diet.

Now onto the exercise side of things. Basically you start with 180 heart beats per minute, minus your age, and depending on your fitness give, or take another 5 or so beats per minute.

So, with my HR monitor dusted off, i need to keep my HR below 140 beats per minute while cycling and running.
I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and at first it felt so, so slow. But now i've got into it, riding and running at such a reduced pace, it's so relaxing, and enjoyable.

I can now run 5 and 10K without wanting to die at the end of it. My cycle ride to work is just so enjoyable, all because i've slowed down. And it's only a few extra minutes added. I can deal with that!
And i'm burning the fat off. I was 22% fat now i'm 19.6%. Assuming the scales are working properly!

I'm giving this a try, due to the amount of injuries i've had of late, where i've just been over doing it.
I'm enjoying my running again, and my tum has got flatter. LOL.

In fact i think i'm turning into a hippy, i'm that relaxed!^_^

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Cutting out the bodies main fuel seems dangerous to me!

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
If you read the thread, you re-introduce carbs back into your diet. Although i'm only going to eat good carbs from now on. Cut out all the shoot.
Your body will adapt to burning fat, making that the main fuel for energy.
Infact, i've never felt better!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
If you read the thread, you re-introduce carbs back into your diet. Although i'm only going to eat good carbs from now on. Cut out all the s***.
Your body will adapt to burning fat, making that the main fuel for energy.

I did read it, it was really, as you put it, it seeming a shame to start eating carbs again. It's an interesting idea though, I'm not sure I'd stay upright though.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I did read it, it was really, as you put it, it seeming a shame to start eating carbs again. It's an interesting idea though, I'm not sure I'd stay upright though.

Well so far, i feel really good for it.
Just leaving out all the sweet sugary stuff and bread. I feel like a new man!

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I take you're still off the carbs or do you eat pasta at the min?
I'm just adding carbs very slowly back into my diet. One at a time to find out what ones affect me. So far it's only been potatoes that have made me feel crap.
But mainly, i've just been adding fruit. I'll get on to the pastas next week.

Oh, i did have oats made with water this morning, and so far so good!
I'll add milk at a later date.

lulubel

Über Member
Now onto the exercise side of things. Basically you start with 180 heart beats per minute, minus your age, and depending on your fitness give, or take another 5 or so beats per minute.

So, with my HR monitor dusted off, i need to keep my HR below 140 beats per minute while cycling and running.

If I did that I wouldn't even be able to walk up a lot of the hills around here, never mind ride (or even push) my bike up them.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Can you be sure the way you feel is due to the lack of carbs or the reduced effort by working to a lower heart rate ? May be the only way to find out is to reintroduce your old regime once you have sorted out your carbs and report back ? Either way it is a fun experiment.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
So far it's only been potatoes that have made me feel crap.
Interested in how you qualify this. What about potatoes makes you feel "crap"? Is it being bloated? Being lethargic? feeling sick? Having the sh!ts? Being bunged up?

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Can you be sure the way you feel is due to the lack of carbs or the reduced effort by working to a lower heart rate ? May be the only way to find out is to reintroduce your old regime once you have sorted out your carbs and report back ? Either way it is a fun experiment.

My wife done the two week test also, and had the same boost in energy levels as i did. She doesn't exercise. So i feel something was happening, due to fat burning. But, unfortunately we need to start back on carbs. Now it's the long process of trying a different carb each day to find out what ones have a bad effect on us.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Interested in how you qualify this. What about potatoes makes you feel "crap"? Is it being bloated? Being lethargic? feeling sick? Having the sh!ts? Being bunged up?

Feeling crap, as in very bloated, and very sleepy. The spuds were the second carb i introduced back into my diet. So, at the moment i've put a cross next to spuds as a no, no for the time being. Energy just seemed to drop off for a good hour. Can't even blame it on portion size or over eating.
Had my favorites tonight, baked beans! No ill effects so far, which is great. I've missed my baked beans.
Very interesting process, in my opinion.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I've also upped my mileage on the way home from work on my bike, due to the lower pace. I've gone from 7.5 miles to just under 10.
But tonight when i got home, i went straight out for a run, and it's the first time i've struggled to stay below 140 beats per minute.
It just seemed so much slower tonight! Must have been the heat. I'm usually an early morning runner.

The thing about this program, it's meant to make you feel good. It helps you find the food to eat that is kind to your body, if you eat something and it takes away your energy, then it's not good for you, so avoid it. That food may not have any effect on someone else.
And from an exercise point of view, it's trying to get exercise to be more enjoyable, it takes away the no pain on gain factor. And to be honest it's working for me.
I'm no longer trying to beat my best 10k time every run i do, i'm not coming back home wanting to keel over.
I can play with football with my kids, because i haven't got pulled muscles.
The heart rate thing has slowed me right down, and i'm loving it!

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Feeling crap, as in very bloated, and very sleepy. The spuds were the second carb i introduced back into my diet. So, at the moment i've put a cross next to spuds as a no, no for the time being. Energy just seemed to drop off for a good hour. Can't even blame it on portion size or over eating.
Had my favorites tonight, baked beans! No ill effects so far, which is great. I've missed my baked beans.
Very interesting process, in my opinion.

Sounds interesting indeed.

Top Bottom