mag turbo trainer, how do they work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ive been given a nearly new giant cyclotron mag turbo trainer for free, unfortunately the reason it was free is because the adjuster that sits on the handlebar has been smashed! its this one,
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...view-giant-cyclotron-mag-ii-trainer-12-42722/
ive sourced a new one but whatever i do i cannot get the resistance to increase on the 'fly' wheel. as im quite a technically minded person i took the unit to pieces but couldnt find anything wrong. if i just pull on the cable that goes through the outer sheath from where the adjuster was with a pair of pliers, even though i pull it right to the extreme i can still turn the fly wheel very easily with one finger. i know in the link ive posted it says there is little difference in levels but surely it should be more useful than just being a spinning bike!
does anyone know how these items work or can point me to any videos that explain how the magnets create the resistance?
thanks in advance

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you put a bike on and pedalled it?

gbb

Legendary Member
yep, it just seems like a spinning bike, if i use the gears i can create some resistance, i recently borrowed a mates minoura trianer and i could adjust it so it was very difficult to peddle
My Cycleops Mag doesnt have any mechanical adjustment...you pedal harder, resistance increases.
I believe you can buy a handlebar mount adjuster for some models, but basically the one i have looks after itself.

arch684

Veteran
Is the bike wheel in contact with the roller on the turbo it can be adjusted from behind the roller

screenman

Legendary Member
I have an egg, will that do.

screenman

Legendary Member
When you turn the roller is the disc that runs through the magnets turning as well, these have been known to come loose on the shaft.

Top Bottom