Magnatom's Helmet Camera Setup!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:sad:

DON'T PANIC!

I am not giving up on videoing my rides! I'm just considering upgrading the helmet camera. I'm looking to go HD (possibly the Contour HD 1080i) which is why I am thinking of selling my current set up.

So if you want to be the proud owner of Magnatom's helmet camera, the one that has captured some legendary videos then read on....

My set up is a multi part system. It consists of a:

Dogcamsport HQ1 camera (it has a different connector than the one linked to)
A separate variable gain microphone,

A 2000mAh Li-ion power pack with power charger (for the camera)

An Archos 405 solid state recorder (2Gb built in, and with an 8Gb SD extension card supplied)

The required DVR travel adapter and AV cables

And who knows, maybe a wee video message from the great man himself recorded on the Archos! :smile:

It's all in great nick, the odd scratch here or there but it all works and produces good quality videos. Just have a look at my videos. :smile:

As it has a few connections, it can be a bit fiddly at first to set it up and you would need to carry the recorder and battery somewhere that they don't get wet (I keep them in my rucksack). However, after a bit of practice it takes about a minute or so to get it on and running.

This current set up can record at 640x480. However, if you later decided to upgrade the recorder, the camera can output 795x596. The camera is pretty good in low light as well.

So now the practicalities. I'm raising the money by hopefully selling one of my lights and hopefully selling this kit. So I'm kinda trying to find what people are willing to pay for this kit, and selling the light before I would be able to post the camera on.

So if you would like to own a piece of commuting history and have a great working camera as well, how much would you be willing to pay? :biggrin:

Edit: OK, I'll let it go for the knock down price of £110. Talk about an investment!!

Sambu

£20?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I think you should give some idea of what you want for it. We're all clueless as to what it's worth.

Aye your probably right. I reckon for the honour of owning it.....:laugh:

Ok seriously.

Archos 405's aren't made any more, but I know Maplins are selling them for about £69 refurbed. It can be used as a MP3/video player as well as a recorder.

A new HQ1/microphone is £155 which includes box etc.

The battery which I replaced last year is a Viosport power pack, I think I payed £35 ish for it. Oh and a memory card. call it £10.

So in total new about £269.

As it isn't new, but is in good condition, how about £150?

AndyB

magnatom said:
:ohmy:

DON'T PANIC!

I am not giving up on videoing my rides! I'm just considering upgrading the helmet camera. I'm looking to go HD (possibly the Contour HD 1080i) which is why I am thinking of selling my current set up.

So if you want to be the proud owner of Magnatom's helmet camera, the one that has captured some legendary videos then read on....

So if you would like to own a piece of commuting history and have a great working camera as well, how much would you be willing to pay? :biggrin:

Edit: OK, I'll let it go for the knock down price of £150. Talk about an investment!!

Can I take some of the blame for this development? ;)

Mark_Robson

I heard that there's a contract on anyone seen wearing that set up. This is just a cunning ploy by magnatron to take the heat off him and maybe make a few bob in the process. ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'll drop the price to £125, but that is as low as I can go. I really want a new camera to keep you all entertained!:laugh:

gavintc

Guru
I have thought about getting a cam, but I would have to censor the output. There are some pretty revealing sights on my commute with about 20-30 prostitutes at the side of the road in various stages of undress. But the potholes and the general driving standards would entertain. Maybe something to consider.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
magnatom said:
I'll drop the price to £125, but that is as low as I can go. I really want a new camera to keep you all entertained!;)

damm it, if only I had the cash, getting a second bike is my priority now tho, shame as its a good price.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gb155 said:
damm it, if only I had the cash, getting a second bike is my priority now tho, shame as its a good price.
You don't really need a new bike do you! :biggrin:

I think it is a good price too. Go on folks. Own a bit of cycling history! :evil:

Top Bottom