Mahle MySmartBike app issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Funny one this. I’ve noticed the mileage recorded for the bike is only ever the mileage of the last trip. Pretty sure it should be acting like an an odometer, and logging all the miles? Noticed this a few weeks back and assumed the app had been updated and data got reset, but AFAIK it is querying this info from the bike controller, rather than just data stored in the app.

Haven’t used the app for a few weeks but giving the bike a charge now and went into the app to monitor charge level and saw I t’s reading 4.4 miles. So it has only logged miles from this evening’s commute and not this morning’s! It is the same on all 3 screens: engineering mode, eBike information, and Status

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That sounds odd. As soon as I log on the screen tells me 'total activities 6297 miles' currently for my Gain and shows how many miles in each power level, even before I link to the bike to check battery level. I have two bikes registered to the app and if I swipe to the other I likewise see it's mileage and other information. Maybe reload the app?

OP
OP
D

Dadam

It shows zero for activities across all power levels. That will be because I've never used it to track my activities, I use my my Garmin for that. But the bike controller information should include the odometer reading. It has other info like battery capacity, charge cycles, controller serial number etc

IMG_0648.PNG

youngoldbloke

I don't recognize that screen at all. Maybe try using the app to track a ride and see what information is recorded?

youngoldbloke

Yes, now that's very like my home screen and that's where I see the mileage details. As I say try recording a ride - red button twice. If no joy maybe email Mahle for advice?

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Can you go into eBike information under eBike Options and tell me what mileage it says on that specific screen for your bike?

I'll try recording a ride and see what that does but I'm not really interested in those features of the app. I'm more concerned that the bike's controller itself may not be recording the miles properly. I'm just using the app to tune the assist levels, get an accurate battery level and other info from the bike itself.

youngoldbloke

The total mileage is shown under 'controller options' on that screen when the app is connected to my newer (2022) bike. (Interestingly the app when connected to the older Orbea does not show mileage under 'ebike information', but under 'engineering mode', 'summary' where the total and the current range left is shown). I can only assume that the firmware differs on the bikes, the Orbea being one of the very early models. The 2022 bike shows 'FW4107'.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

My firmware is also 4107. Do you have two Orbea e-bikes?

youngoldbloke

No, Orbea Gain 2018, and a 2022 Ribble SLe, both have Mahle X35 systems, but the older X35 is Bluetooth only, no ANT+. It was also registered to the original version of the app and it's history migrated to the Smartbike app when it replaced it. However I would have thought the app screens for the 2022 bike with the 4107 firmware would compare directly with your bike. I would contact Mahle and ask them about the issue.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

I will do that if no joy but I’ll start with the bike shop. They’re an official Orbea dealer so should know, and their service is better than what I’ve heard about Mahle

Hi there, new member here.

I have the same issue as Dadam on my Orbea Vibe. It started a few months ago and the shop had a look and updated firmware and I reported a few weeks later that it hadn't resolved it, so they were to get in touch with Orbea but they haven't come back to me. I will chase them up this week and take it in in the next week or so.

It's not a major issue for me but the worry is that it's an early sign of a future failure so I will get back on the shop's case. The mileage shown isn't the last ride though, it can cumulate a few rides then just resets, so it's clearly something faulty somewhere. I'm on FW 4107 too.

Glad I found this thread because previously found nothing about this particular fault and though it was just a

Just noticed I obv got distracted at the end of my post above 😅... I guess you got the gist though. Thought it was just me!

Have you spoken to your dealer about it in the last couple of weeks @Dadam?

Last edited:
Top Bottom