Mahle MySmartBike app issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah I get you. I'll keep you updated if I make any progress.

Well, i took my bike in and they updated the battery firmware from 48 to 4B (same as yours, so I wasn't hopeful it would be the fix to end the problem). All was well for a month and 10 or so rides. Today I have just been out for a ride and come back and checked it and it's back to zero 😐

I'll speak to the warranty guy at the shop on Monday and probably take it back in sometime next week.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Well mine has been ok for a few weeks, now showing 110 miles. Probably jinxed it now

Did the shop say anything helpful like have they seen the issue before? Or just update the firmware because they’ve no other ideas?

Last edited:
They just relayed what Orbea had said about the firmware would sort it. The shop hadn't come across the issue before.

IMO they need to replace the hub unit and maybe the battery. I guess now I need to get a bit more formal about a resolution because it does ultimately affect the resale value. I am not gonna find many buyers when the odometer says <150 miles but 25 battery charge cycles...

I'll get more of an idea of how to proceed when I speak to the warranty guy at the shop in the next day or so.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

They just relayed what Orbea had said about the firmware would sort it. The shop hadn't come across the issue before.

IMO they need to replace the hub unit and maybe the battery. I guess now I need to get a bit more formal about a resolution because it does ultimately affect the resale value. I am not gonna find many buyers when the odometer says <150 miles but 25 battery charge cycles...

I'll get more of an idea of how to proceed when I speak to the warranty guy at the shop in the next day or so.

That’s a good point re resale, I’d not considered. It’s a long time in the future as it’s on a 3 year c2w lease. If it happens again I’ll be on to the shop.

I got mine on a 4 year c2w too, but it's paid off in a couple of months. My employer has already said they don't have any issues with what I do with it. No plans to sell it either but that's not the point.

It has a material impact on the value of the bike, and so Orbea have an obligation to resolve it. My main concern is failure further down the line when out of warranty. The bike shop seem fine but I'm not sure how serious Orbea will take it. I have 14 months left on the warranty so I have plenty of time. The issue is more an irritant atm, it doesn't impact being able to use the bike as intended, so I'm easy right now. Let's see how it goes.

Hopefully yours stays good.

Update for you giuys... Had the battery replaced a couple of weeks ago. Although I have only been on 4 rides since, so far so good.

The battery contains the ECU, hence why this is the fix apparently, despite the app giving the impression the controller is within the hub. The app shows it as a new bike and all serial numbers match the new battery.

The way that this was a no quibble warranty replacement by Orbea gives some confidence this is something they are aware of and the fix is the correct one. Had to jump through many hoops when the plastic cover fell off the rear light but none of that this time!

cstoff

Dam just came across this tread, I've noticed the same issue. At first it recorded the milage fine but then I logged in once to see that the total mileage had reset or was not showing. I assumed it was a problem with the app. Had no idea would need the battery replaced to solve the issue. Now it's out of warranty. 😞

Obea gain D50 2021 (bought in Feb 2022)

Dam just came across this tread, I've noticed the same issue. At first it recorded the milage fine but then I logged in once to see that the total mileage had reset or was not showing. I assumed it was a problem with the app. Had no idea would need the battery replaced to solve the issue. Now it's out of warranty. 😞

Obea gain D50 2021 (bought in Feb 2022)

Might be worth trying it via the place you bought it
Tell them that it is a known fault - that means the item needs to be of reasonable quality (look up the legal phrase) and the time limits are longer than the normal warranty

worth a try!

Top Bottom