Maillard(?) freewheel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beesty boy

Hi everyone,

Can anybody help me in removing this freewheel?

The bicycle is an old Elswick Turbo 12 with, not surprisingly, 12 speeds. I suppose it dates from the 1970s.

The wheel is marked RIGIDA Made in France. The plastic ‘freehub protector’ is marked Shimano.

It appears that the freewheel tool would have nine segments to it to engage with the freewheel.

A tour of the internet revealed no tool to match that.

A visit to my local Evans resulted in comments like:
Blimey, what’s that?
New one on me guv.
Years since I’ve seen one of those.
They’re as rare as hens’ teeth.

But to be fair to them, they did try, and they think that it’s a Maillard freewheel.

I saw on YouTube that in the case of some freewheels the spindle could be removed and an appropriately sized bolt and vice grips used to remove the freewheel.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steve

DSC02236.JPG DSC02239.JPG DSC02241.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharky

Guru
Going back to the 60's, I've not seen anything like that. Usually the block removers fit inside the block and don't have that big washer stopping it. If you can take the spindle out, might reveals something.

Good luck
Keith

gbb

Legendary Member
Its not a standard or at least common Maillard. I have one on an old bike in the shed and have the freewheel remover, but its not like yours.
Ive never seen one like that TBF.

OP
OP
B

Beesty boy

Well firstly a big thank you to everyone who took the trouble to offer advice. I believe the suggestion of a Shimano Uniglide is spot on. The link to Sheldon was very useful, and I did subsequently find a YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zWYLb2RMPA that looks a very good match.

The plastic protector has the words Shimano and freehub imprinted on it, but I never thought for one minute that this old bike was fitted with a cassette! Seems like it was one of the very first.

Now I just have to obtain a pair of chain whips, flex the muscles, and shift that sucker! I’ll report back in due course. Thanks again everyone.

Mod Edit: Bold removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gbb
As a matter of interest, why do you want to remove it? It seems in perfect condition and hadn't seen much service? Right?
I'm also quote astounded that none of the bike shops picked up the threads on the last sprocket or investigated a bit further. It is pretty obvious how it is retained onto the freehub body, especially if you have the wheel in your hand and can look up close.

OP
OP
B

Beesty boy

As a matter of interest, why do you want to remove it? It seems in perfect condition and hadn't seen much service? Right?
I'm also quote astounded that none of the bike shops picked up the threads on the last sprocket or investigated a bit further. It is pretty obvious how it is retained onto the freehub body, especially if you have the wheel in your hand and can look up close.

I need to replace a spoke on the freewheel side. Four guys at Evans had the wheel in their hands. I went to another local shop only to find it had closed, so I came to this excellent forum.

My brother gave me the bike last year. It was taking up space in his shed and I suspect it was headed for the tip. Not sure how much he ever used it. It rides pretty well and up to now hasn't cost me anything.

Top Bottom