Mainland southern Spain.........holiday suggestions please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd agree, that coast, particularly Asturias is my favourite place, but, you can't beat the south for guaranteed sun!

OP, I go to Spain several times year, love the place, I can recall "combat alley" in Torremolinos as a young man, now, you'd struggle to find a Brit bar in Torremolinos, things change.......

I've just come back from Alicante, my first holiday there, a compact city with great nightlife, a decent beach and very few non-Spanish tourists. I stayed in Barrio Santa Cruz, Google it, was like a Brazilian favela. A short tram ride away is Playa de San Juan with a superb beach miles long with a bike path alongside. Valencia is about a 2 hour train ride away and well worth the visit. Alicante has regular bike hire and you can have a road bike delivered to you direct.

Still, I'd go to Malaga. It's a city that has transformed itself over the past 20 years, it is now stunning. Loads of cultural things to see/do. Worth spending all your holiday there but it has the easy access to Seville and Granada if you wish. The El Palo/Pedragalejo coastal suburbs are nice places to stay, a short bus ride into the city, or a very easy cycle ride. I can recommend Recyclo for road bike hire in Pedragalejo. The AC & Don Curro are good central hotels, the former has the benefit of a roof top pool.

Both Alicante & Malaga have safe & spectacular riding only a mile or so inland.
My only time in Torremolinos was for a gay wedding... it's got a very lively scene if that's your thing. Lots of ex pats
Nice beach too from what I recall

MarkF

Guru
My only time in Torremolinos was for a gay wedding... it's got a very lively scene if that's your thing. Lots of ex pats
Nice beach too from what I recall

I inadvertently stopped in the Nogalera complex 2 years ago whilst touring, I had no idea that Torre was now a gay destination. I also found out what a hairy bear party was......

Top Bottom