Mainstream, mid price mobile thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without looking at overpriced iPhone or top end S series Samsungs or the various Chinese brands, what's a decent way to get a midrange, functional mobile?

I guess I'm looking at brands main street shops, or out of town retailers, might stock. No pocophones, honor, realme or similar. Or some never heard about before online retailer. Perhaps giffgaff but not used / secondhand ones neither.

Anyone got a suggestion?

BTW I'm on ID Mobile and will be sticking with them because I live where only three or the expensive EE networks work in my area. The virtual network I'm with uses three. I'm replacing a 4 yo Samsung A70 that tbh was a bargain when I got it shortly after it came out. Kind of midrange price that gave nearer s series top range Samsung phones at the time. Still not that far behind the current non5g phones you can still get.

I've been considering contract and phone with idmobile as buying Samsung a54 5g that way works out over 24 months to be cheaper than equivalent sim only with separately bought a54 purchase. I think about £450 or so over two years with phone and lots of data included. My son got 100gb data plus A54 for £455 over two years in total. £350 phone resulting in effective £105 over 24 months for the connection and data. To me that seems better than buying phone outright.

Whatever the case, does anyone know of a better way to get a decent brand and decent species midrange mobile phone like the A54 5g? GiffGaff doesn't seem better for phone only and i can't use their virtual network as it's not three or EE.

Jameshow

Veteran
Motorola Moto G are usually GVM.
Work well for me, not a lot of bloat wear.
Good battery life.
The camera on my current g9 is a bit slow tbh.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Older S series like the S20 FE ? Upgraded my S20FE this year for the S23 Ultra. It was a great phone. The S23 Ultra has an incredible camera, but I'd have the S20 again - should be on some deals still

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just bought a Nokia G21 for our teen. Not a stonking performer and the screen could be better but the battery life is stellar and does all the usual fine. 90hz refresh rate. Guaranteed security updates for 3 years and OS updated for 2. It's a Android 1 phone so stock with no OS overlay and no bloatware. It was only $100 here.
If you want to get geeky a slightly older iPhone will give you a longer life and better screen and performance as above but will be significantly more expensive. All depends what you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Iphone is out, really don't like iOS. As is secondhand, I don't like the idea of used.

Updates is an issue. Iirc pixels 3 years os and 4 security. Motorola 2 os 2 security I think. Samsung 4 and 5 years, Chinese brands often lower at 2 and 3.

From what I've found Samsung seems to offer a longer update schedule than most if not all brands. I did read somewhere that last new pixel models are better with similar update lifetime as Samsung. Since I've often kept my phone going for 4 plus years I think I need phones with at least 4 years security updates.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Best thing to do is look at reviews on YouTube of mid range devices. Check carefully about updates as I think that long life span on Samsung phones is only for its premium devices.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
People often over look Sony these days, but frankly, they are quality phones and with the Chinese competition in this price tier, offer good mid range devices with good cameras, software, build quality and support. The Sony Xperia 10 V 5G for example is around £350 and has an HDR OLED screen, 5000mah battery, Water resistance, 48mp camera with good software to go with it in Sony style and good hardware specs.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
From a73, a53 and a33 onwards in the mid range plus f54 from Samsung get 4 years os, 5 security updates. Mid range phones all off them. The older a series phones get 3 years os updates which is still better than Motorola and most Chinese brands. Iirc nothing phones too on 2 years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try looking at threads on an extensive user forum like AVForums rather than at paid reviews.
https://www.avforums.com/forums/mobile-phones-forum.106/
Post this thread there too and see what comes back. There’ll be someone on there with experience of pretty much any model.

They also have a very good Classifieds section. Not sure why you won’t consider used where you can make a significant saving

Drago

Legendary Member
S'ok gramps.

Eh? Speak up!

prod_19775220604.jpeg

postman

Legendary Member
Both me and Mrs P are leaving Virgin mobile next year,but they dont know yet.They have joined with O2 and phone costs are stupid.Mrs P is suggesting Curry's i will look for a phone that bluetooths with the GN hearing aids.These so called new ones do not work on my Samsung A32 5g phone.Its not on the approved list.

Top Bottom