Mainstream, mid price mobile thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Both me and Mrs P are leaving Virgin mobile next year,but they dont know yet.They have joined with O2 and phone costs are stupid.Mrs P is suggesting Curry's i will look for a phone that bluetooths with the GN hearing aids.These so called new ones do not work on my Samsung A32 5g phone.Its not on the approved list.

Look at ID mobile - gvm.

dicko

Guru
I always buy Apple, only the cheapest iPhone SE for me does everything brilliantly. I swapped from EE to Tesco Mobile and saved ££££ in January best move ever.

Gunk

Guru
I always buy Apple, only the cheapest iPhone SE for me does everything brilliantly. I swapped from EE to Tesco Mobile and saved ££££ in January best move ever.

I’ve got two phones in the family On Tesco mobile and they‘re unbelievable value, especially SIM only.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
ID Mobile is who I got sim only from. Then got contracts and phones for our son and my partner. Good deals and on a network that works in our area.

I have an issue with used and not all for irrational reasons over it being used by someone else first. Update years. Used usually means an older model that is possibly near the end of its update period. If not then I would question why m it was traded in so early. Getting new costs more but you know the history and know exactly what you're getting. If you don't get that you can probably return for replacement.

Take older samsungs, they now have 4 years and 5 years of OS / security updates since 2022 I think. For a few years before it was 3 and 4 years and before that just 2 years. Get a used Motorola you have only 2 years updates. The used phone might easily be close to end of update period. How much of a risk? Well with chromebooks there's a lot of reports on it being an issue within 6 months or so. I think m phones are different but there will be a risk I reckon.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Free WiFi? Not up here in Cumbria / lancas borderlands. Forget that WiFi and tbh mobile connection comes and goes too on the train route I use. I reckon places I go to have very little free WiFi unless you're in a cafe that has if.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Blimey. It's a phone. Occasionally it rings and I tell a scammer to f*** off. That's it. I can't believe people get so excited by them and so deep into it.

I agree with you but then, each to their own.

My Samsung came out last year @190 and 6 months later was in an Amazon sale event at £130.

Got one for me and one for Mrs SD - job done!

netman

Veteran
I work in IT so support a lot of different phones and have owned/used most brands by now. For my personal phone I use a Google Pixel (7a currently). I like my photography and they are great for that as well as being sensibly priced and very functional. Decent security features and 3 years Android updates and 5 years security updates... can recommend them.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Pixel 8 have 7 years os and security updates. My Partner kept her Motorola going 8 years. She had to replace after her employer would not support her remote access to the systems because her phone os was not supported by the security / remote login system. Plus it finally started to play up and hint at upcoming doom. I doubt her replacement Samsung or any modern phone will last longer than 7 years without having issues.

As to only a phone. Well it's only a bike but we all seem to prattle on about them. What's the difference really, a bike is just two wheels, a frame and pedals. Why the need to discuss features like we do? A tool is a tool. Tools have details about them that differentiates them that affects their suitability for someone. People will talk about these differences to find their best option for any tool whether bikes or phones or chainsaws. No difference in this just what is being talked about.

Motorola G series. Look at which option best meets your needs and go for it.

I've had several over the last decade plus and they are consistently good, inexpensive and run the latest version of Android (usually) with no bloat ware like many of the premium brands.

I'd normally agree but a recent G32 purchase has come with a problem of it randomly cutting out when inside some buildings. I have a e6s but am looking at changing it as the battery won't support a days usuage anymore.

Top Bottom