Maintence of Shimano STI levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Just looking for advice on what other people what people use. I have read that WD40 for cleaning out the old lubricant that is clogging up the levers. Then use a lithium spray grease after for lubrication. How old/mileage would be on a new bike before it would need to be cleaned and re lubed. From what ive read the factory lubrication is good for a couple of years...... don't know if id agree with that though ?

migrantwing

Veteran
I did mine within a few months of getting my new bike. Just removed the hoods, blasted WD40 through all the workings, allowed it to dry off overnight, and then used a light machine oil to lubricate the shifters, working through all the gear shift positions a handful of times.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I did mine within a few months of getting my new bike. Just removed the hoods, blasted WD40 through all the workings, allowed it to dry off overnight, and then used a light machine oil to lubricate the shifters, working through all the gear shift positions a handful of times.
I should try that on my Vivente tourer. I've just topped 70,000km on this bike after 5.5 years using it, and it still has the orginal STI shifters (aka brifters). I've never oiled them once, but they still work :laugh:.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I wouldn't use WD40 - I would certainly add a little oil though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What about a spray grease after wd 40 ?
I found some thats fairlay light , in fact tried it for greasing crank/ pedal hole (?) and its too light for that so might be the ticket for this ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've never done anything to my Ultegra STIs in 9 years, they really don't need attention.

This...............

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The levers on the pug I have been playing with where solid as it had been left standing for so long . I was advised to soak the hell out of them with wd40 and keep clicking them . I thought I was on a losing battle but one by one the clicks came back .

Very early road STI's eventually had am issue with the factory lubrication 'gumming up'. AASHTA.

"There is advice on the Web to free up the mechanism by soaking the lever in solvent or squirting solvent into it. If you're going to try this, remove the rubber hood first, or it will absorb solvent and expand.
Relubricate the shifter with lithium spray grease."

However, I've never heard of such issues on later version STI's, (except LH 105 ones), and I've never had any issues with any of mine :thumbsup:

Top Bottom