Major thigh cramps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
...No, not a curiously named army officer, but something that afflicts me seemingly whenever I ride over about 30 miles.

I usually ride singlespeed and live in a hilly area- my standard short ride is 13 miles and 1000ft of climb, so my thighs are strong enough. I'm not sure if it's related to my age (51- God, it comes as a shock to me whenever I see it written down) or if I'm simply not drinking enough. I get through two 700ml bottles of energy drink on a longish ride- surely that should be enough for a ride like last Friday when I cycled to Bristol and back, about 35 miles each way?

In fact I was experiencing thigh cramps before I even got to Bristol, and only just managed to limp home with several stops. This was on my geared Cannondale btw.

I thought I'd solved the problem lately by putting my seat down 1/2 an inch, but obviously not.

I'm a bit overweight but not much really so I don't think that's a big factor. What I will say is that I lack flexibility and I assume that doesn't help either.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What electrolytes are in your energy drink? Maybe something like ‘Salt Sticks’ could help.

Top Bottom