'make do and mend' or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Inner tubes:

Currently I patch mtb tubes BUT replace road tubes after each puncture.

It seems a huge waste to bin road tubes but will patches stand-up to 110psi?

I tend to replace mtb tubes once they have about 5-6 patches on them just to be safe!

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i patch mine and run 130 psi

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Patch. Why not? The pressure makes absolutely no difference. It's either properly patched or its not. If it is, it's as sound as before it was holed.

02GF74

Über Member
I never realised there was an option not to patch. I patch until I the point when I am having to put patches onto patches or there is a huge cut in the tube, that is when it gets bin. Never had any problem doing that.

RedBike

If i'm going on a long ride I often carry two spare tubes, one of which is always a new one. If I'm just off on a shorter ride I only take a one spare tube which is always a new one.

The punctured tube gets taken home and slung in a pile. I tend to have a tube patching blitz, repairing 4-5 of them at once, when there's nothing on the TV one evening.
After repairing the tubes I inflate them then hang them up in the coat cupboard. If the tubes are still inflated a week or so later they get folded up and stuck in my saddle bag as spares. However, if they've gone down in this period then they get slung.

MartinC

Über Member
I usually replace the punctured tub with a spare on the road. I take the punctured tube home to repair. Eventually I throw away the collection of punctured tubes I've accumulated and never got round to repairing. Part of the reason is that the best way to repair is to patch it and then put it straight back in the tyre where the pressure will help weld it back on.

Surprisingly often I'll find a puncture when I take the bike out of the garage or car - I'll patch these but then these end up in the scenario described above so they never accumulate more than 1 patch.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As others have said, a properly patched tube should be fine.

In my case, I've forgotten how to patch since I fitted by SMP+ tyres.
biggrin.gif

C

chillyuk

I carry a couple of tubes in my panniers so I can change tubes on the road and patch when I get home. I always carry one new tube just in case a patched tube fails.

kyuss

Veteran
It always puzzles me how many of my otherwise environmentally aware friends are prepared to throw out perfectly good tubes, often stating that new ones are only £2 so what's the point in patching them. :angry: I don't think I have any tubes left that don't have at least 1 repair done on them. I have one still in service with at least 8 patches.

Top Bottom