makin a bike that little bit easyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big boy

Hi all not claiming to be an expert on bikes, but seing that some people may not be able to maintain their bike..
Here is a few things that i tend to do to A pass the time and b ride in the knowledge that things run smoothly and freely on my bike.
Having recently bought a new bike that to be honest wasnt set up the way i like it, and also buying a second hand bike that was in the same way.
So firsly my new bike.
One of the first things i did was turn the bike upside down and spun the wheels, i found the bearings to be quite tight.
I slacken off the cones untill the weight of the valve sends it to the 6 oclock position, giving the wheel a rock to make sure there was no play.
Also on spinning the pedals they would only spin around once or twice, ok i know the bike is new etc.
I lubricated both pedals with a thin oil, also removing the caps and doing that side as well.
I also did the same with the bottom bracket bearings, removing the chain to se how freely everything spun.
Everything else was about right on both bikes, gears all indexed ok tires seated on rims ok.
As a precaution i also tend to check that everything is not loose, especially the wheelnuts.
And that the brakes arent binding.
This may seem obvios things to most of you but may just help someone.
Ps both bikes giving no problems (at the moment )

Teuchter

Über Member
Not a bad idea.

My preventative maintenance tends to be:
Wipe every non braking surface with an oily rag once a week.
Lube the chain (oil worked in with a toothbrush) once a week (or fortnight for the one month a year when it doesn't rain continually here).
Fix anything else when it starts developing any sort of noise (rubbing, clicking, knocking, hissing, squeaking, grinding). I'm OCD about noises coming from components that aren't meant to.

OP
OP
B

Big boy

I find the grease orrible i striped a wheel down once to find the grease like wax.
All crusty and this was on a nearly new bike.
The internal combustion engine does ok on oil lol so does my bike :o)
On my cycling trips im the weekest link without any doubt :o)
We all have our ways of doing things, what i posted is the way i look after my bikes.

Hi all not claiming to be an expert on bikes, but seing that some people may not be able to maintain their bike..
Here is a few things that i tend to do to A pass the time and b ride in the knowledge that things run smoothly and freely on my bike.
Having recently bought a new bike that to be honest wasnt set up the way i like it, and also buying a second hand bike that was in the same way.
So firsly my new bike.
One of the first things i did was turn the bike upside down and spun the wheels, i found the bearings to be quite tight.
I slacken off the cones untill the weight of the valve sends it to the 6 oclock position, giving the wheel a rock to make sure there was no play.
Also on spinning the pedals they would only spin around once or twice, ok i know the bike is new etc.
I lubricated both pedals with a thin oil, also removing the caps and doing that side as well.
I also did the same with the bottom bracket bearings, removing the chain to se how freely everything spun.
Everything else was about right on both bikes, gears all indexed ok tires seated on rims ok.
As a precaution i also tend to check that everything is not loose, especially the wheelnuts.
And that the brakes arent binding.
This may seem obvios things to most of you but may just help someone.
Ps both bikes giving no problems (at the moment )

The bearing things sounds rather technical and probably involves special tools. I only have a hammer.

Teuchter

Über Member
You're all sorted then. They don't call that "The General Purpose Tool" for nothing! :biggrin:

Edit: Aaargh lost the quote text. I hate posting using a phone. Where's my hammer?

HovR

Über Member
Sorry, but I have to agree with Drago here!

Using light oil in bearings (especially the BB) isn't such a great idea, as oil doesn't have anywhere near the same "staying power" as grease, and so can be washed out relatively easily - leaving you with non lubricated bearings - not good!

Please don't take this as critisism, but helpful advice - I wouldn't want you to have to pay out for a new BB if the current one were to wear through due to improper lubrication.

Agree with the above ^^^

The difference that taking the OP's advice will make to your riding is precisely zero - however, the difference that washing the grease away from your bearing surfaces and replacing with oil (which will begin to run out itself, shortly after you have applied it) is far worse. My suggestion would be to ignore it... :smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The internal combustion engine does ok on oil lol so does my bike :o)

The internal combustion engine does ok on oil because it has an oil pump which forces lubrication to the components under pressure. I expect your bike does not have an oil pump which is why grease is often used to lubricate components.

OP
OP
B

Big boy

Grease does have different properties than oil, i do know that.
I also know a car has an oilpump, we are talking about a bicycle here.
I was going to put a post on here about how to easily cut a brake cable to size, and not get those frayed ends to try to feed through the outer part of it.
As i se a few people lookin to change handlebars, as sometimes the existing cables are not long enough.
I will not bother as someone is bound to say no dont do it like that , do it like this.
Or the other one hit it with a hammer.
I think the best advice i should have given , was take your bike to a bike shop and pay some one to do it for you.

Grease does have different properties than oil, i do know that.
I also know a car has an oilpump, we are talking about a bicycle here.

the problem is keeping the oil in the cup&cone bearings - it will just run out. Unless you are suggesting re-applying the oil, mid-ride...?

I was going to put a post on here about how to easily cut a brake cable to size, and not get those frayed ends to try to feed through the outer part of it.

cable cutters?

I think the best advice i should have given , was take your bike to a bike shop and pay some one to do it for you.

Best advice is to read through the forums here and allow people to choose what advice they take, based on the suggestions given and the responses those suggestions get...

compo

Veteran
Oil's OK as long as you keep it "topped up". After all those rubbish old bikes of yesteryear that ran for ever used oil, in fact the bottom bracket shell would have a hole through which to inject oil, then a spring loaded cap to keep it in, as would the wheel hubs and sometimes the pedals.

Top Bottom