Making a generator quieter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I realise I probably won't get much response on here as I'm sure not many will have one but I thought I'd try.
I know it's never going to be very quiet but none the less has anyone got any ideas how I might make it a little less noisy?
No suggestions for ear plugs/defenders please :smile:

Attachments

• PXL_20240317_133537536.jpg
    PXL_20240317_133537536.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 10
Generators don't have ears, how would ear plugs help ;)

Practical suggestion - how far away can you put it? Behind a big wall? In a hole?

Jameshow

Veteran
Make a plywood cube to go over it?
Put sound absorbing material on the inside? Vent the exhaust via a secondary scooter exhaust and the air filter via a larger panel filter would be my thoughts.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a chance to reuse all the egg boxes you have been saving up.
That's not such a silly idea.

The way I think I'm going to go is with @Jameshow suggestion. The suggestions on YT include adding a car muffer but I don't think that will be effective as the noise comes mostly from the mechanical clatter.
Thick foam insulation board was also suggested to build the cover but don't know where to get it here.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's not such a silly idea.

The way I think I'm going to go is with @Jameshow suggestion. The suggestions on YT include adding a car muffer but I don't think that will be effective as the noise comes mostly from the mechanical clatter.
Thick foam insulation board wasalsi suggested to build the cover but don't know where to get it here.

What about cooling - you'll potentially restrict air flow so have a think about it. My son's generator is fine, unless it's in blazing sun on a hot day.

Top Bottom