Making a generator quieter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I imagine those are rather more sophisticated and better engineered than my basic Honda. I should think they are probably water cooled which cuts down a lot of noise @slowmotion

Absolutely. The exhausts are probably under the water which buys a lot of quietness. I just guessed that the marine architects know a fair bit about making the enclosure for the generator itself a bit "stealthy".

BTW, buying a yacht generator requires you to sell at least two of your kidneys.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Ask building site to rummage thru celotex off cuts see if there’s enough to make a box out of them - easy to cut and a good start to something more sturdy

Punkawallah

Über Member
Logically, it will be much more quiet if you don’t start it. But given that would not be your choice of solutions, you could try pallets around it. One ‘layer’ vertical and one horizontal should act as a baffle.

biketrailerguy

Haven't read any of the linked info, but wonder if any of them discuss deflecting the sound vertically, as well as various attenuation techniques / materials?
Seem to recollect photos of vertical final stage ducting associated with RR aero engine test beds.

presta

Guru
Of the commonly/easily available materials, loft insulation is about the best sound insulator. It's also easy to wrap some round the generator to try it and see how much you need, before you go to the trouble of building something more permanent, like a box.

Top Bottom