Making a Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So with my TTs, ive got the bike and the skin suit and i just need the helmet....
My brother works with(well in his spare time) carbon fibre and other composit stuff, and for his kayaking made himself a helmet.
He has suggested making me an aero one, but im not sure how it would go with the rules? Im sure i read somewhere that some cant be used for TTs for UCI rules or something? Or i might be wrong.
His suggestion then was to get one already made from someone in the club, make up a mould and make one up that way.
So, does anyone know if i could and be able to wear it for TTs?
It would be nice if i could do, id be able to have it in my own colours with a design and probably my name on it.
And before someone says, "no surely no rules on helmets" im sure i read somewhere there is. And i can opnly wear the skinsuit i have in my own club closed events and not for open because its not a club or a plain one:wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got an old Rudy Project 'Open' Sweeto, but don't you need a crash compliant lid in TT's ?

redddraggon

Blondie
fossyant said:
I've got an old Rudy Project 'Open' Sweeto, but don't you need a crash compliant lid in TT's ?

Only for TTs run under UCI rules, which the majority of TTs in the UK aren't.

Helmets aren't required by the CTT governing body anyway.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

fossyant said:

I dont know, do you?
I thought there was some rule stopping some helmets being worn:wacko:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

redddraggon said:
Only for TTs run under UCI rules, which the majority of TTs in the UK aren't.

Helmets aren't required by the CTT governing body anyway.

So, if i had one made and the event wasnt UCI then it would be fine?
For my club closed ones it would be fine, but when i do an open event it wouldnt?

redddraggon

Blondie
Joe24 said:
So, if i had one made and the event wasnt UCI then it would be fine?
For my club closed ones it would be fine, but when i do an open event it wouldnt?

Most open events are run under CTT rules aren't they? As long as they are run under CTT rules you don't even need a helmet.

Will1985

Über Member
Why not just buy a fairing? That would have the level of "protection" as one made by your brother. They are beginning to go out of fashion in favour of the proper certified helmets.

Nothing stopping you buying a helmet and then sending it to Carlos on TTF for a nice paintjob either.

However, are you 18? I lose track...

15. Protective Helmets
All competitors under the age of 18 years and/or Juniors must wear a properly affixed helmet which must be of hard/soft shell construction. Helmets should conform to a recognised Standard such as SNELL B95, ANSI Z90.4, AUS/NZS 2063:96, DIN 33-954, CPSC or EN 1078.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Will1985 said:
Why not just buy a fairing? That would have the level of "protection" as one made by your brother. They are beginning to go out of fashion in favour of the proper certified helmets.

Nothing stopping you buying a helmet and then sending it to Carlos on TTF for a nice paintjob either.

However, are you 18? I lose track...

[/SIZE][/FONT]

No, im under 18:sad:
So that would mean i cant have one made up till im 18 then?:biggrin:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member

Will1985

Über Member
Correct.

In practice, I think club TT organisers won't care unless you have a crash and damage your brain. Open TT organisers are a lot more vigilant and you won't get away with it.

In this country we're behind the times IMO - the Americans have got it right with CPSC-certified helmets only in triathlon and all forms of road racing...one step away from mandatory use.
Fairings are obviously lighter and the odds of a TT crash are very remote, but you never know these days....cars come out of nowhere :biggrin:

I have just had a thought if you really want to go this route now - could a fairing be moulded to temporarily attach to your normal helmet? I'm sure that used to be done.

BTW, the paintjobs that Carlos does look amazing but the downside is that it costs as much as the lid.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not get one of these? It may not be aerodynamic but it'll put the fear of God in the other competitors!

skull_helmet.jpg

Top Bottom