Making chain longer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Ha ha - a mate of mine used to work in a bike shop and he always did that with the chain segments left over from chain replacements - he didn't have to buy a chain the whole time he worked there!

Still, the other points still apply - a drooping chain, and needing to replace more links, less frequently.

How about smaller chain ring and smaller rear sprocket? now that would save chain lenght and you would collect the bits for the free one faster.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about smaller chain ring and smaller rear sprocket? now that would save chain lenght and you would collect the bits for the free one faster.
But surely they would wear faster because the pedalling load would be spread over fewer teeth!? :whistle:

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
But surely they would wear faster because the pedalling load would be spread over fewer teeth!? :whistle:

I think it is only the bit that is between the chainring and the sprockets that stretch, as the other bit is held in place.

Do you think we can keep this going until the day the topic started next year.^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like this?
vernon_blake.jpg

This is Vernon Blake riding a bike with a "floating chain" (1919)

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a new cbr 1000 chain in my garage ,that should last until your about 350 yrs old if you oil it now and then.

Not on a cbr 1000 it would not. Luckily for us the owners of what may be the largest chain and sprocket dealers are good friends of mine, along with them being quite quick cyclist.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think the only answer to that is, "Who cares?"
Why is everyone on here so obsessed by chain wear?
The chain is one of the cheapest thing to replace on a bike :wacko:
My bikes anyway, maybe different for carbon racers with the latest group set?

Top Bottom